New Engine Needed, Really?

Tommyfmu

Seaman
So my port Crusader 350XL dropped its oil 2 weeks into the bilge until it stopped while underway. Next week I filled it with oil and it idled fine, but when I powered up again within 30 seconds it dropped all its oil into the bilge, so I shut it down immediately.

Found out that the leak was coming from the remote oil filter adaptor way underneath. Fine, that can be fixed, or removed and the oil filter put on the engine directly.

I've been told, by two difference mechanics now, that I've spun the bearings due to the oil pressure drop, and at a minimum the engine needs to be pulled and repaired, or better yet put in a remanufactured one.

Does this sound true? She starts right up no problem, idles fine, and I don't hear any sounds different than my stbd engine even when revved up; i.e. no metal on metal, no hesitation (carbs were just rebuilt). I have not fixed the leak and tried revving it upwards of 3k while underway ; if I rev it up while idled I can see the oil pressure drop a bit telling me its dropping some oil into the bilge.

I trust both of them but was just wondering if that's happened to anyone else and you just fixed the leak and it lasted without any problem. Thanks, Tom.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New Engine Needed, Really?

maybe you got lucky I would think you would get a pretty loud KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK if the main bearings were trashed . Because they would now have slop in them. BUT if you run it with bad bearings you can trash your crankshaft and the repair cost go up. Hows the oil pressure ? Ive had a 350 in an auto with bad mian bearings and it sounded like a train [Wreck] How old is the engine? hours? compression? overall condition ? Did the engine freeze up and stall from lack of lube? Or was it a self-protect shutdown cause you lost oil pressure.

Tommyfmu

Seaman

Paul, per your questions: I don't hear any knock knock knock ; the oil pressure is very good 40psi at idle and up to around 2500 rpm ; over that the pressure starts dropping because oil is being pushed out of the adapter leak into the bilge, so eventually the psi would go to 0 if I kept the rpms up. I believe the engine is original '96 , about 600 hours. I haven't actually compression checked it but the torque is very strong when accelerating to get up on plane so I'd assume the compression is good. Overall condition of the engine visibly, is very good; there is some corrosion/rust on the block, but the oil on the dipstick shows clean, so I don't think the engine has been breached at all. The engine shut down automatically the first time due to lack of oil ; I'm not sure if that is defined as freeze/seize , because I put 5 quarts of oil back in, waited an hour for the oil to make its way to the pan, and it struggled to crank for a while, then picked up as the oil made its way around the gears etc, and now cranks, turns right over.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

That would be my biggest question Did it shut down automatically as in a self protect mode, cuz of low oil pressure. Some engines have an electric fuel pump cutout that stops fuel flow if the oil pressure drops below a certain PSI. Preventing damage. However if the engine shut down from friction due to lack of oil siezing the pistons in the cylinders. Then its a whole diff story. The fact that it took a full 5qts of oil is somewhat concerning as I assume thats about the total capicity... i would think it would shut down sooner if it was in a self protect mode. Or did it shut down, and then keep leaking? But you say it sounds good and u have oil pressure I D K ??? Anyboby???:confused:

Tommyfmu

Seaman

The engine has a mechanical fuel pump, so I don't think it shut down due to protection mode. From what you wrote and the mechanics said, I'm thinking it was a total exception that it didn't permanently seize up the pistons or throw a rod through the block; I was lucky in that respect. Over the weekend I ran the engine and at higher rpms I did hear some knocks coming from inside the engine close to the transmission, so it looks like replacement is a foregone conclusion ;( Thanks for the input. Tom.

ctjstr

Recruit

If its not banging or knocking and if you've got oil pressure, make sure the leak is stopped, fill it with oil and run it.
Engines can run amazingly long with virtually no oil.
If you've done damage, the obvious signs are lower end knocking, which is the rods banging on the bearings, low oil pressure since the oil pressure is directly related to how tight the bearings are, a clattering nearer to the top of the engine which is the lifters collapsed with no oil in them, or smoking from the breather hose, which is an indication you're blowing compression by the rings. If those aren't obvious, you are probably fine. If not, its time to pull the engine and go though it. Its no doubt fixable unless you've spun a bearing, which is VERY unlikely. It would be making BIG noises if you'd done that and have virtually no oil pressure.

Good luck.

Tommyfmu

Seaman

Ctj, thanks for the input. Though I couldn't hear any obvious engine problem noises, two separate mechanics said they did hear the lower end banging you spoke of indicating the bearings were gone or something like that. Either way I had the marina take her in for the winter and we're getting a new engine put in by the spring, with core credit for the old engine. Tom.

eastont

Chief Petty Officer

I took out the main bearings on my Ford 390 a few years ago, and now I run it with 20/50. No noise.

doug3297

Cadet

Best thing to do is open up your oil filter and see if there are any metal shavings in it, that will tell you if there was any damage. If it lost pressure under load it will eat the bearings, if it was idling it will run a long time with no oil pressure, I can attest to that!

Tommyfmu

Seaman

It definitely lost pressure under load (twice). That's probably why two mechanics said it had to be opened up. Towards the end I was idling around but my mechanic said not to even run the engine because I ran the risk of doing something to the block and not being eligible for a core credit. Anyway should have the new engine in within a few weeks right in time for spring launch.