New Engine Hard to Start

Equis

Cadet
Hello,<br /><br />I have just purchased a boat with a 115 Mecury on the back, I am finding that it takes about 5 -6 long twists of the key to start it cold.<br /><br />The engine has only done 15 hours<br /><br />When its warm its easy to start<br /><br />I do pump the bulb and use choke.<br /><br />Also, when I puch the key for choke, I don't here a click or anything, is this normal?<br /><br />Any Ideas?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Rhys :)

Ben Konopacky

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New Engine Hard to Start

Take the cover off,Turn the key to run and push in to choke ,listen for a click,if no click check the Yellow/black wire going to the choke sol. for dc voltage when you push in the key. Did you try using the manual choke to start?

Equis

Cadet

Thanks for that :)<br /><br />I will go try that now.<br /><br />Sorry for the "newbie" question but where is the manual choke?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Rhys

Equis

Cadet

Ok Just checked, yes I can hear a tick (really faint)<br /><br />Thanks

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Pump the primer bulb until firm.<br />Give the motor No throttle.<br />Push the key in and hold it there to choke while cranking.<br />Let the choke go as soon as if fires, Then give it some throttle until the motor warms-up. You might have to give the choke a few quick pushes to keep it going at first.<br /><br />The first time I heard that giving these motors throttle to start them was a bad idea, I was skeptical. But every time I try to start one that way, it starts hard. When I put the throttle back down, then they start much quicker.