New Electrical System

411sponge

Cadet
Hi everyone!

As some of you already know, I purchased a used 1997 Monarck Pro 160 Bass Boat with a 40 hp Mariner about a month ago. I looked undr the console where the steering wheel is located and found an old fuse box. I will try and post a pic when I get a chance but this thig looks scary. :eek: I am kinna worried about having electrical problems out on the water. I am also considering adding some new electrical equipment such as a stereo and fishfinder and some lights so I am considering on purchasing a new fuse box. I was looking at the Blue Sea 5025 Blade Fuse box and I wanted to know if this company makes quality products? How difficult are they to install? Also, should I just scrap all of the wiring in the boat and purchase new wires since I am replacing the fuse box or should the old wiring be adequate? I know I am goning to have to get some help because I know nothing about electrical wiring but I wanted to check with you guys first. Thanks everyone! :cool:

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: New Electrical System

There is nothing wrong with Blue Sea products in fact is not even likely they manufacture the fuse box anyway. Either way there have been members that have used the Blue Sea aftermarket fuse blocks with excellent results so you should be fine provided you stay within the specifications of the fuse block.

The wiring in your boat is a judgment call on your part, typically the wire is fine until the PVC insulation begins to get brittle and break, at that point the wire is exposed and begins to corrode, the situation becomes a fire hazard you get the idea. Another issue is when to many connections have been made and proper techniques were not followed and the wiring can become resistive with corrosion or just plain intermittent, depends on you.

Your boat, well your in a difficult situation, you have a small outboard that I don't think can handle alot of accessories so you will have to be careful just how many electrical gadgets your going to need on your Bass boat, if were talking a small stereo with no amp and a fishfinder I think your fine LED lights still I think your fine but if your planning on rocking out with a 1000 watt stereo while fishing your going to have to make short fishing trips or have a couple extra batteries, you may be able to add another battery to your system but its likely that you will have to take these batteries out at night after fishing to charge them since your outboard charger is itty bitty, make sense?

If you want to rewire your boat thats fine and I'll bet we can talk you through it no problem but only you can decide if its worth it

Pics would help though!! Congratulations!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Most wiring issues are not with the wire itself but rather how connections are made at the device and at the power and ground source. If you are installing a new fuse panel, blade style fuses make good sense. Connections to the panel are via spade or screw terminas which require crimping spade or ring terminals on the ends of the power and ground wires. If the wiring is not a mess of splices and is not brittle and cracked as already pointed out, there is no reason to replace it. Besides, you already admitted that you know nothing about wiring so why attempt a full rewire and potentially end up with a worse situation than you already have. There is a generic boat s wiring diagram in the stickies at the top of this page. Study it and then decide if this is something you want to do. Lastly, understand that there are two electrical systems on a boat. The very large battery cables that run from the battery to the engine is the source for the "engine electrical system". From the engine, power (along with other engine related circuits) are fed forward to the controls. The instruments are powered from this system -- the rest of the stuff on your boat is NOT powered from that system. At the battery you should find a pair of (red and black) #8 or #10 wires. This is the "boat electrical system" and it powers the fuse panel and all of the accessories fed from it.

NYBo

Admiral

You've been given some great advice. Another advantage of using your current wiring if it's original and in good shape is that it should comply with industry color-coding standards. This makes troubleshooting any future electrical problems a lot easier.