New DIY Learning Curve

harringtondav

Commander
Continuing with our river house basement finish. I'm working to do it all myself.

HVAC installation is a new frontier for me ...maybe the last at my age. Round ductwork is mostly erector set assembly, with a bit of cutting. Now I'm getting into the rectangular trunk sections.

I watched the pros do our main home, and hovered over the guy that replaced our furnace a couple years ago. ...you can do that when you're paying the tab, and the tradesman is a good guy. This, and a pal who retired as a co-owner of a sheet metal shop gave me the confidence to give it a go.

So it hasn't turned out too bad so far. But like any 'successful' result, I know what I'd do differently next time, if there is a next time.

IMG_20210112_150112906.jpgIMG_20210112_163157794.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member
Nice work . . . I have yet to do much of that type of work. Forced Hot water heating in my homes. The only time I had problems with the ducting on the exhaust vent of the oil burner (heater) I contracted the repairs out. :cool:

It cost about 2X of what I thought it should . . . :rolleyes:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
looking good

I grew up knocking tin since my grandfather owned a business and dad had been working in the business since he was a tween.

I dont miss the big jobs. 2 years ago when the A/C went out. two guys and a truck came with a new unit and worked in the 120 degree attic until we had A/C

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The unfortunate part of duct installation is that problems never show up until the drywall and flooring are installed

Dont take any short cuts on clearances and bracing. It will come back to bite you sooner or later.

Nice looking material. Any makers marks?