New depth finder - can't turn it off

3gsdad

Seaman Apprentice
I have it pluged into the fuse panel on an empty spot but it stays on all the time. I want it off unless I turn the key on like my radio. My radio fuse is right next to the blank that I plugged the depth finder in. why is one on and the other off when the key is off??
How do I hook this thing up so it does not kill my battery?:confused:

oaksld

Seaman Apprentice
Re: New depth finder - can't turn it off

Wire into the same fuse as your radio.. it shouldn't draw that much amperage.

3gsdad

Seaman Apprentice

What is the best way to do that? Can I just hold the wire to the post as push the radio wire back on the post? Or can I stick it in the slot for the fuse and put the fuse in pinching the wire?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The locator doesn't have an OFF button??? If it does, ensure the ON button is not stuck on. I've seen this before. Seems some folks can't get the hang of pressing a button. They try to push it out the back of the case. If the locator is functioning otherwise, there is no reason to change the wiring. If the OFF button doesn't work, take the unit back and get a new one that works correctly.

3gsdad

Seaman Apprentice

Off button! :eek:why didn't I think of that?:facepalm:

Just kidding, this is a little in dash depth finder it has no on or off button.

Alumarine

Captain

Hard to say what you've got but why not splice into the radio wire?

phone sails

Seaman

its because it has to wired into the acc ,, just splice it into the radio wires ,,,when you turn the key acc turns on or a seperate toggle switch you go depth finder to the switch and from the switch to the fuse panel

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

If it is one of the depth finders that fit into a gauge opening, such as the Lowrance pictured, then it is supposed to be wired to a toggle on/off switch or hook it to the 12v+ ignition switch ON circuit (first key indent position, just before run).

depth gauge.jpg

3gsdad

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I will try the ignition switch and if I can't figure that out I will just rig it by splicing into the radio.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Thanks, I will try the ignition switch and if I can't figure that out I will just rig it by splicing into the radio.

Don't RIG it. If even you are referring to it as a rig job, so will the next owner. You can always put in a small toggle switch (that's how mine came from Carver) on the dash. It doesn't have to be a large, lighted throw switch. A small unobtrusive on/off works well. I would think it would be easiest to just add it to this terminal:

ignt.jpg

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class

x2 for above. Do it right, you'll be happier with it. One thing I hate is to get a boat and than have to spend tons of time fixing "rigged" stuff.

red