new cables for Kiekhaefer/Mercury Controls (classic)

I'm trying to find new cables for my kiekhaefer/mercury controls that came with the boat. they may be on their last leg and would like to know what would work for this control box. It came off a early 1960s (1963 mercury 350 35hp) and has just one handle for shift/throttle, and another smaller handle for cold starting (slightly raises the throttle). I have had a really hard time finding cables for this because if i remember correctly, the attachment into the box was very different from what was commercially available,

The engine side of things is just fine, I can find cables that match what i currently have. Can the control side of new cables be cut/altered relatively easy?

Attached is a pic of the controls. control2.jpg control1.jpg

I had opened the control box before and don't remember any such loop at the end. I believe it was just a rod without a looped end. The fixed swivel piece however was there but i didn't take any measurements. I am just wondering if lets say the swivel end is identical, and will fit in the control box, will cutting off the looped end work for this particular box?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It might be time to open the remote again to see what's in there, RC.

GA_Boater

Well - Did you open the remote to find out what the cables look like?

No, I haven't had the chance. The boat is currently up at my vacation home and won't be able to find out until i'm up there.

These may be the kind of cables i will need. This guy is asking 90 dollars which is extremely steep but if i need them what can i do. I think i remember seeing this when i last opened the box up. again i will confirm the next time i'm up there but i'm worried they may be sold by the time i go up next. Let alone i'm not sure of the length i will need which is something I will measure as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Kie..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item43d854b6c6&vxp=mtr

ratedterror

Recruit
I have the same control, Mine is opened and its indeed the following cable I need. part 29564A16. I cannot find any, they all say obsolete. any help?

GA_Boater

I have the same control, Mine is opened and its indeed the following cable I need. part 29564A16. I cannot find any, they all say obsolete. any help?

This is an inactive thread. Please click on Forum Help in the sig below and read about posting in old threads.

Look at Ebay and don't waste any time.