new boater winter storage

frank suppa

Recruit
Hi, new to boating,great forum lots of good info.Just purcased 98 sea ray 18 ft,3.0 with alpha 1.Sea ray dealer states all I have to do for storage is to mix anti freeze in pail adapted to water hose going to muffs run the engin till anti freeze comes out the lower unit and it should be set.Seems a little light on the freeze insurance, in the north east goes below 0 for weeks a couple times a season.Any help greatly appreciated.Should say, dumped the engine oil and replace the lower unit grease already.thanks much

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: new boater winter storage

That is the surest way in the world to be posting here in the spring with a cracked block. With a raw water cooled system, you need to drain everything first, then if you want antifreeze in the system, remove the thermostat and add it.
Here is a link so you can download the service manual for your engine
http://www-alt.mercurymarine.com/mnetdata/sisdata/srvcovr.pdf

You need #26 for your engine and #14 for your drive.

frank suppa

Recruit

OK thanks for the advice , thats why i asked the experts, Another question when using the boat last month from reverse to foward I would get a slow grind if i feathered the control,never in reverse and not all the time.Changed the grease, no discolor or metal filings.Boat sat for some time before i purchased.Thanks again

capecodder116

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome to iboats....
When you shift gears from neutral to reverse or neutral to forward make your shift a deliberate shift into gear. Don't "feather" it. It is normal operation for slight gear noise as you make the shift. By feathering you are causing harm.

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

You need to do more than what the dealer stated, as Don S stated. Read through that manual and it should talk about fogging your engine too. This is to keep the engine internals from rusting and seizing up on you. Change the oil in the engine too and change the fluid in the outdrive.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.........

There's a Great Winterization thread written by Don that's nailed to the top of this forum,......
All you need to know is in it......

But,.......... I will add,.......Even though Don does mention it in his write up,.....

Air just Doesn't Freeze,......... No need to use Antifreeze,.....At All......

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

Bond-O, at the risk of starting an anti-freeze, no anti-freeze war; is there really that much truth/added benefit to adding anti-freeze for corrosion reduction? I've read a lot of threads, here and other places, where some do use it, some don't, and neither has a problem come Spring.

Bondo

Staff member

Well,........

Some of the Boys that play in the Salt pond seems to believe that it'll give them a few extra years out of their motors,.......
But,.......
I live on a Sweetwater Sea,......
Engine Blocks,+ Manifolds will Last Forever,............ Antifreeze or Not........

It's more of a way for retailers to Sell more junk to you that you Don't Need.......

That's My Opinion,+ I have seen Nothing to change it.........