New Boat Questions

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan, and when I get back here in a few months, Im buying a new boat. Not brand new, I'm getting a used one. I live in coastal NC, and I'm getting a 21-24 foot bay boat. I'm setting up some down riggers on it, and will use it to go outside and troll, and on days that are too nasty, I'll be inside the coastal waters. My problem is to wether get a T-top or not. If I get a t-top, I would like to have some outriggers set up on it, and the storage would be nice, as well as the open casting area on the sides. I will be able to have all my antennas up top, as my gps.

Now if I don't get a t-top, i will be putting a bimini on it. I have one on my current baot, and it works well, however I lose a lot of casting space off to the sides, and I figure that if I have a boat with GPS already on board, with a bimini it will block the GPS and be virtually useless, and I will have to use planer boards to get the lines out to the sides. Also with a t-top, I figure it will act as a parachute, and cause excess drag while towing, and also blow me all over the water.

I would like to know from the other owners out therewho have a t-top on a bay boat, and get some advice wether its nice, or not. Does it provide a decent amount of shade? Thanks for any advice.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: New Boat Questions

no help on your question but thanks for your service man...be careful out there....I'm somebody will be along shortly to help you out with your question

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I too can't help you with your question but I wanted to thank you for your service and for keeping us safe. Take care over there, stay safe and get some bad guys. Then, when you return, enjoy your boat and fishing.

Philster

Captain

If you are at the helm, you want a T-Top! Get it. Seriously... it's definitely makes the boat.

Thanks for your service and I hope you have tons of fun when you get back here to do some boating!

CAVU V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Semper Fi Marine.

The New River inlet can get a little rough so be careful going through there.

Dale
Retire USMC CH-46, CH53E, UC-12B Driver

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry I can't help with your question. I would like to thank you from the bottom of My Heart for your service to our country! Good Luck and come home safe.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'm sure you realize that the bay boat design is not made for rough water--and the sounds can get that way. Be careful.

A bimini does not block a gps. Mine even works some when I'm anchored under a bridge.

The T top will create some drag, but you're not racing. Not enough to affect control.
But the nice thing about a bimini is that you can furl it when you are running, trailering, etc. The t-top will limit storage options. Also, you can use the bimini in the summer when it's hot, and take it off in the cooler weather for fishing, or if you are going out for a serious trip.

Be careful and thanks for serving. I'm currently watching The Pacific series; my dad was on Iwo. You all are heroes.

The bimini gets in the way fishing as does the T top for casting. Like evrything, it's a trade off. Do what I did: start with the bimini for a season and then decide next season if you want to add a T top.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the tips. Regal 2860, I see you're an old phrog guy. I never was, one, however Im an airframe mech on the V-22 Osprey, and also an aerial gunner. We are out of Camp Bastion in Helmand, the first V-22 squadron in this place, and we are making one heck of a name for us out here. You may of heard about us on the news. Thanks for all the support, and Im still gonna do some research on wether a t top or bimini. im not concerned with drag while underway, just towing.