New Boat questions?

UgandUb

Cadet
Hi! I am new to this forum, and have my eye on a 1990 Regal 290 Commodore.... what can you tell me about this boat? It has twin 5.0's with Alpha 1's with 800 hours on them. Boat looks good, drives look good, engines are clean & oil free... just some cosmetic interior stuff . I want to keep it near the Chesapeake bay... is it a good saltwater boat? How does it do off shore? It does NOT have fresh water cooling....is that a problem, or can I simply flush it, and what are my options?
This is by far the largest boat I will have owned (everything prior was a tiny ski/speed boat)
Any advice, experiences, tips, or questions I should be asking ??
thanks!!
Keith

firehog6305

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New Boat questions?

I also have a large boat with twin 305's in it, its plenty of power for that size boat, at wide open throttle, I'm looking at about 45mph. thats not fast to some, but for me its fine, that size boat cruises better at about 22mph, which should be fine for everything, when you get into that size of boat, we are looking for a cruise speed, not how fast, the bigger boats dont react as fast as the small one's, they are meant for cruising, not speed, and most of all, since nobody has said it yet, welcome to iboats

UgandUb

Cadet

I also have a large boat with twin 305's in it, its plenty of power for that size boat, at wide open throttle, I'm looking at about 45mph. thats not fast to some, but for me its fine, that size boat cruises better at about 22mph, which should be fine for everything, when you get into that size of boat, we are looking for a cruise speed, not how fast, the bigger boats dont react as fast as the small one's, they are meant for cruising, not speed, and most of all, since nobody has said it yet, welcome to iboats

Thank you for the input! I am not concerned with 'how fast' it goes...I have a speed boat now, and that's why I am getting rid of it. Just want something to spend an occasional weekend on, with my wife & friends, lounge around and enjoy the water, and maybe a trip or two around the bay area! It lists the cruise as 20 and full throttle at 35. Anything we should ask or know before buying?

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Get it surveyed !!!!!!!!!!! Then you will have no doubt about its condition or seaworthyness. It is a cheap investment against a possible fortune being spent down the road on repairs. :D

firehog6305

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree, purchasing that large of a boat, and not being famillar with their operation, you want a survey done, what part of the bay area are you from?? I have my boat berth in rio vista:)

UgandUb

Cadet

I agree, purchasing that large of a boat, and not being famillar with their operation, you want a survey done, what part of the bay area are you from?? I have my boat berth in rio vista:)

It will be kept at cockrells Marina...actually down Little Wicomico River, near the smith point light on the bay.
Where does one find a Surveyor? (Boat is in the D.C. Area)

firehog6305

Petty Officer 1st Class

oh, I thought you were from the west coast sorry:redface: well have fun with the boat, and again, welcome to iboats:)