New Boat Owner

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice
I just purchsed a 2001 230SSI Chaparral, and it is my first boat. I will be keeping it dock at a slip this summer on Lake Wallenpaupack in PA. I thought I would take advantage of this wealth of knowledge and ask the following question. If you could give me one piece of advise about boating or boat ownership what would it be? Looking forward to hearing all the great advise. Thanks in advance.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Boat Owner

Take a USCG water safety course.

SteveRay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Buy and read the manual for your engine/drive combo. Read the owners manual for your boat.<br /> :)

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Maintenece is the key to a long and happy relationship with your boat.Keep in mind its not a car, and even though its a boat, it does not like on the inside. If your keeping in a slip I'm sure you will get good advice from your neighbours. Mine going into a slip this year, first time in 3 years.I usualy pull mine out 2 times a season, on a rainy day to power wash the slime off the hull.<br /><br /> Jim

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Don't forget to put the drain plug in when you go out. ;)

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Test and double test your bilge pumps. A boat kept in the water 24/7 while you are away, stands a much higher chance of taking on water.

salty87

Commander

don't approach it any faster than you want to hit it

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Get to know the area where you want to go boating. Ask around and find out what the hazzard are around the are. Familarize yourself with charts of the area and know your bearing.<br /><br />Good luck in your boating season.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Be sure you have all required safety equipment on board such has Flares, PFD's manual bilge pumps, paddles anchor's with Chain and rode, Flashlight (waterproof), always be sure fuel tank is full before heading out, check fluid level's also before each trip and inspect bilge for any water, warm up engine and make sure oil psi, voltage and water temp are reading within a acceptable range. Last but least Relax be patient and have fun boating.

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

When you take your boatless buddies out, make a rule that they they must buy beer and must help you clean the boat when the day/season is over. Also, invest in a backup auto bilge.<br /><br />To save money, you might want to change your own oil often...Your oil filter is probably difficult to get to and will cause a mess when unscrewing it...Have an oil filter relocation kit installed so filter is right on top and can easily and cleanly be changed. I got one off Summit Racing website for much less than Mercruiser (I think about $30 bucks)...The larger filter also adds to your oil capacity and can add hours to motor due to cooler and cleaner oil.

rogerwa

Commander

When having friends out, make sure they know you are the capt and must do what you say when underway. Make sure they know where their PFD is and encourage them to wear it. If they don't make it their choice.<br /><br />Make clear that when docking, you will ask for help if needed. It can cause problems for people uninitiated to help where they think help is needed and to screw up your docking procedure. It also not safe ot have people all moving to one side and grabbing docks etc..<br /><br />It goes without saying probably, but just like electricity, the weather and water need to be repsected. Otherwise it can very quickly kill you.