New boat keeps breaking down.

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer
ok, so here is the situation:

Need some advice / input. I have a brand new Smokercraft Ultima 172. It has a honda 4 stroke 135 on it. The second time I took it out, found out the Throttle position sensor was broke. Thought I broke it, when I put the hood on the motor. brought it to dealer and they fixed it. So I take the boat out this weekend, and am cruising around, stop and dock, get back in boat and go to start it same thing. Throttle position sensor is broken, this time I did not go under the hood. So something is fishy here..
Upon further troubleshooting, found out that when u trim the motor all the way up to trailer it, the hood hits the back inside of the deck on the boat which causes the hood to flex and thus break the sensor. What should I do to fix this, it is at the dealer and they are talking it over to try and find a solution. Any ideas or inputs would be great.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: New boat keeps breaking down.

they are going to tell you not to tilt it all the way up...but they should have known that when they sold you that combination......

but why did it break at the dock?

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

i believe the reason it broke or the alarm started going off at the dock was, we hit some waves before going in and it finally broke loose at that point. My assumption...

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if they cant re mount the sensor...there gonna have to make a rig to keep the motor farther up and away from the craft....if the cowling is binding they might need a spacer as much as 1-2 inches.......

i cant see why they didnt know about this when they sold it to you...that cant be the first package like it that they have sold....:confused: :confused:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

btw....even if they re-mount the sensor....your gonna have a rub mark on your cowling....:mad:

CATransplant

Admiral

Sounds like they mounted that engine a tad bit low. I bet moving it up an inch would end the problem. Dumb on their part, since an engine cowling should not be interfering with any part of the boat at any time.

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pictures would be nice ...

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great boat and motor. That is a problem that should be addressed under warranty. I would be a little cranky about now. Hopefully the third time will be thew charm.

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

So how can I tell if the motor is mount too low? Yeah pictures.. LOL... Havent had the boat long enough to take pictures. Freaking sucks. Does anyone know if the Honda 115 has the same size cowling and footprint as the 125?? I got a feeling I am gonna have to put a smaller motor on it.... :(

oops!

Supreme Mariner

look at the anti cav plate on the motor...that is the wide plate about a foot above the prop shaft.

that plate should be level with the bottom of the boat.....if it sticks down two ins.........they can move it up.....but with a proper mounting...it shouldnt happen.......remember thoes big ol mercs? ......huge towers.....they never hit.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

you realize of course....you dont live THAT far from don s :D