New boat.. have to tell someone about it!!

cheejudo

Seaman
So first of all i would like to say whats up!!! I am new to this forum because well Uhh i am the newest "new boat owner"!.. Ya i know you dont give a rat's *** but you're going to sit there and read this like a good iboater. I am deployed right now so i have no one to tell that would give a **** lol.

Wife bought me a 2000 17' Bayliner Capri 1750 bowrider for my first boat! It has a 3.0L Mecruiser 140hp (i hope thats a decent i/o). bimini top, cd player! yea boy... I bought it to cruise around, pull my wife, son and myself on a tube/skis and get to my Noodlin spots quick fast and in a hurry. I'm hopin its able to pull my fatass up (175 lbs)!! i'm so excited to get home next month and take my 30 days leave! i am a redneck so im pretty sure it will keep me amused either way.

I have some questions.. feel free to answer... or not answer.

I have no doubt that this will pull a tube/skier, how fast do yall think it can go?

Guesstimate on the shallowest water it can cruise along in? I like to break off from the main body of lakes and go back where not alot of people hang out.

How much gas will this thing use during a weekend?

I know it varies by state - but does anyone know if oklahoma requires some type of license?

Chaz7R

Seaman Apprentice
Re: New boat.. have to tell someone about it!!

Probally go about 41-45mph with a 19 pich prop, but will be difficult to get up. With my 3.0 I put a 15p prop on and it pulls you right up and planes very quickly but speed tops out about 36mph and have to becareful not to overrev the engine. I get nervous in water under 5 feet and would slow right down and raise my outdrive a little. Congrats on the new boat and have a fun summer!

204 Escape

Ensign

I personally think that it is great that your wife cares enough to go and get you/her a boat !!! CONGRATS !!! Get home soon and SAFELY so you can enjoy !!!!!! OH, and welcome

oldjeep

Admiral

It will be fine to get up on skis behind if you have any idea what you are doing. I get up on my slalom behind my 195 with 3.0L and a 14.25x21 prop (180 lbs). Mine tops at about 43 with that prop, yours should be lighter so I'd expect a little more speed.

Depth wise you need about 2.4 feet under the hull for a 195 putting (according to my deth guage), I wouldn't go fast without at least 4 feet. Your 175 doesn't sit as deep.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

A Bayliner? I thought you said she bought you a boat? ;) Kidding bro. Congrats and welcome! Hope you go home safe. Enjoy the stateside rotation! :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Wow Fort Sill!!! LOL. Nice place :) Never been to that base ........

Hey enjoy the new toy. You can actually get a freebee shop manual for it ....... place a post in the I/O section and someone will get you the DL link.

The 3.0 is really a gas miser (compared to other motors) How much are you going to burn????? Depends on the cruising speed. When you figure out the sweet spot it gets great MPG but........ since it's new to you..... you will be burning allot because you will be playing around. Face it we are all wide open throttle speed freaks!

You will need 2.8' of water for draft and your fuel tank holds about 23 gal

Have fun!! Welcome to iboats.

Retired Army 20 yrs active duty;) Thanks for your service!

Last edited:

jefro

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome, congrats and thanks for your service!
I'm a new motor-boater and I get nervous in water less than 8-10 feet in the bay (never know when it might get shallow quick). I'm taking it easy, slowing down in the shallower waters until I get a better idea of what the bottom looks like in my area. I don't want to make an expensive mistake!
Good luck, have fun and be safe.

(7 years Navy)

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

1st off welcome aboard! and as for the rig I basically have the same power and size but mines a Sea Ray and shes never had any issues pulling up a skier and definatly tubing is not a problem at all mine will top out at aroung 45 with 2 adults and 2 kids and she is really good on fuel with my 22 gal, tank when full I can make 4 to 5 trips to the lake no problem!

Blue2Green

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome aboard and a big thank you for your service. I hope you get home safely and to enjoy the h*** out of your new toy.

cheejudo

Seaman

Thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to getting home this month! this is the third deployment and the last few weeks drag *** like a worm filled dog. You said I can float in 2.8 inches??? that seems a little extreme! :eek:

reap182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Congrats and thanks for your service. Having a boat will definitely help pass the time at Sill.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Congrats on the new boat. And it's awesome the wife bought it for you. My wife bought me my first motorcycle for our first anniversary. 12 years and 6 bikes later, she's wondering if it was a good move!

Get back stateside and enjoy the heck out of the boat!