New Bayliners and VEC technology

maxxpower

Seaman
I am in the process of selecting a new boat around $10,000. My question is, does a 2004 Bayliner 175 have VEC construction, if so what parts are composite and what parts are still wood? Also does anybody have a new 175? What do you think about it? I am well aware of bayliners quality problems in the past, but they have improved structurally in the last few years. If we had more money we would get something better, but, for an entry level boat it seems to be a decent value.

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer
Re: New Bayliners and VEC technology

"VEC" is own'd and operated by Genmar. They own for example, Larson, Glasstron, SeaSwirl, ForWinns, ........ Bayliner is own'd by Brunswick and as such still builds hulls one at a time with cheap manual labor. In many cases, south of the border labor!! The only thing I would say about a 17' boat is for you and your family to sit in it, visualize yourselves, and the dog, cooler and friends inside with the skis and innertube. Now you'll know why it's so inexpensive, ... there's no room inside! BTW, if you think you can also waterski with a four cylinder motor, you must all be 3 feet tall and weigh about 80lbs. My apoligies to any "little people" out there! THEY would just about fit into one of these "boats"! Why do you think it's so inexpensive? It's also underpower'd!!

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Hey Maxx,<br /><br />Welcome to the forum. The quick and dirty is that it is difficult to beat the package offered by bayliner for 10K. Stingray offers a nice equally priced unit with a more sporty layout and a newer, more efficient hull. But they are about equal in fit, build quality and base power. <br /><br />P.V. makes a couple of very good points. 17 will get real small real fast so see if you can work a pre arranged trade in value with the dealer so when you win the lottery you can trade up to a slightly larger and more powerful boat. The 3.0L is a good little engine but not strong enough to do many things that the upgrade to the 4.3 can provide.<br /><br />If 10K is were you are at then the bayliner or the stingray are the only two options I am aware of and I don't know of any stingray dealers in Wisconsin. I am sure there has to be one or two. Get to know your dealer real well and establish a relationship with him. You will get 2 footitus very quickly, (I know I did) and working with the dealer you bought this from might provide you with a more lucrative trade in value down the road.<br /><br />Have you considered a lightly used boat a couple of years old in that price range?

93bronco

Ensign

try web page <br />you should get a better answer.<br /><br />as far as a stingray goes - i saw a 2004 next to me while pumping gas.<br />i asked the owner how he liked it.<br />he said it sux.<br />the 5.7 motor keeps overheating, parts of the boat keep flying off & rite on the stbd side corner by transom - just below the rub rail, the hull is caving in.<br />it looks like its melting from the inside out.<br />he said he is waiting on a response from stingray.

Bayrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here we go again.If it was,nt for Bayliner there would be nothing to bash on this site.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

As P.V. said, the VEC deal is strictly for Genmar brands like Glastron. Other builders outside of the Genmar family are working on similar closed mold technology, but they will have to cook up some other name than "VEC". There has also been speculation that Genmar might license their VEC system to other builders at some point. But that is all in the future, if ever.<br /><br />There is almost no wood left in these new $10k bargain level boats. For any brand, not just Glastron. With volume that high the composite construction makes more sense. You will actually find a lot more wood in 20' boats costing three times as much as these bargain boats. The 17 footers that did have wood have been driven out of the market already.<br /><br />All of these price sensitive boats are built down to that price. Including the VEC boats. At that level I would just get the boat that put the biggest grin on my face and not sweat the construction details too much.<br /><br />Also take a look at the lighter 18 footers that work Ok with the same 3L motor. Often these will be fairly close to the price for the 175 model. But offer more room and stability.<br /><br />Here is another good thread on the bargain boats -<br /><br /> Any new small sport boats at or under 10K?? <br /><br />Kelly Cook

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

Perhaps I shouldn't be so shy about saying what's really on my mind!! The boat is built in Mexico! Bayliner found that they can lay off their American workforce and pay pennies per hour to have our friends in Mexico build you a "cheap"-a$$ boat!! This 17' model is gear'd not for the first time buyer who wants a quality boat for the starter family, but the first-time buyer who does not know any better!!! Will it float, yep! Will it "perform"?, just like any other lightweight, 3.0 litre power'd boat! Will it hold any value when you attempt to trade it in in three years? Not when Bayliner pops a million of them out of the molds and saturates the market with new and used ones when you go to sell/trade yours in!! BTW, don't let them suck you into the "no money down scheme"! Then you'll have even less equity into the hulk you bought a couple of years ago! You'll be "upside down" in this fine high quality piece of plastic, you won't get to blame American workmanship for this cluster you'll find yourself in, just an American company!!! Just so you'll know I'm a fair kind of guy, Stingray $*#$ also!! Buy quality, not cost!!!

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Bayliner bashers comments aside...my Bayliner has been an excellent performer. I don't own the exact boat you have, I have a 1990 Capri 185 Bowrider, with a 90HP Force motor. <br /><br />According to some comments made above, its amazing mine even floats! Apparently it should have sunk 2 weeks after I purchased it, sorry, but I didn't get the memo on that one.<br /><br />I chose my Bayliner for a couple reasons, yes, one was price, value, and (Shocker) quality. My Bayliner with its puny underpowered 90HP outboard only pulls 2 adult skiers, or 3-4 tubers, a wakeboarder, or a kneeboarder. Apparently, I purchased the only Capri capable of doing that.<br /><br />At WOT, my boat tops out at 38mph. That's plenty fast for me, and I rarely if ever run it that fast. I purchased my boat for fun, we cruise the lake, tow my boys on the tubes, water ski, I kneeboard behind it, etc. We don't spend 3 weeks living on the boat, we spend a couple hours at a time on the boat. When we need to stretch (or visit the bathroom), we come back to our dock and take a break. Its perfect for the 4 of us. We typically boat in Northern MN. We've taken it to Table Rock Lake in MO, lots of IA lakes, etc. <br /><br />Really, just decide what's right for you. They're good quality boats at a great price, and I wouldn't hesitate buying one for a second. I'm not willing to spend 2x the money for a boat I only put 100 hours on in a typical summer, when I wouldn't use it any differently.

Bert1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The previous post is dead on. I have a 2001 CF160 with a 50hp 4 stroke. I bought it for my needs and not to be able to out race, out pull, or out (whatever) anybody. When I purchased, I was fully informed that it was a price point boat, I invested in additional electronics and accessories that where not included in the basic packadge to bring it up to my requirements. Think of it as a Chevrolet compared to a Cadilac, both will get you there in differing levels of comfort, but the cost/ savings will be diferrent. It is true that after 4 years, we are starting to have the urge to upgrade, but it is still doing the job we intended for it. By the way, I will not hesitate to upgrade to a bigger Bayliner and get a reasonable purchase price with a few bucks left over to actually enjoy it.

HEDJUG

Cadet

Max,<br />If you will have fun on it, BUY IT.<br /><br />Hey P.V.<br />I see you are a marina owner. That is interesting. My marina owner skis with me on my cheap 18' Monetery with a 140 Merc. We take it out every time his $$$Mastercraft$$$ is broken. He even barefoots behind it. <br /><br />Hedjug<br /><br />P.S. I am a 6' 280lb weight/beer lifter that skis behind that 140 ALL the time.

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

I guess you may miss my point! The particular boat our friend is thinking about is.... inexpensive(read cheap). It costs $9995.00 !! That price is a steal compared to another boat (Bayliner or__________), larger is size (beam, length, side height, etc...) that costs $12,000. Heck, why spend 2K more when you don't need to?????. Will it float? Yep, Will it hold it's value? Nope! Can you ski with it? Sure! If it's rated for six people (that I don't know), can you still ski with it? Come on! You'll really need/want more cubic inches! If money is the overwhelming thing that determines IF you buy a boat, buy it! It will work! However, After two months of pulling the kids/friends/beer buddies aroung the lake, you will wish you had of spent slightly more money for a boat "Just a little bigger, Just a little more power"! Bayliners have greatly improved their quality from those late '80's things that they called boats. BUT.....the 17' is lacking in space and power for most of us!! And it';s a little too late, two months after the sale to discover that fact! Again, I suggest he go for a demo ride, The dealer does do that, does he not??? Put your average load in the boat, pretend there's a cooler in it, an now try to ski/tube, whatever! If you still like it, BUY IT!!!!! I guess I will be the only one to say the emperor has no clothes!!! That particular boat offers you only one thing, everyone can own one as it's $99.00 month!! What a bargin!!

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

HEDJUG--------sorry man gotta call ya out on this one.theres no way in h#ll you buddie barefoots behind your 140, he might barefoot for .0002 seconds but thats all, a bearfooter will pull a 140 down to 10 mph in a second or two. 140's are reliable,tough motors, but bearfoot??? common man who ya trying to kid??? hahahahahahaha

HEDJUG

Cadet

I'm sorry Ride, I must have been *smoking crack* the days that he did it.<br /><br />Actually, I was only trying to kid you, Ride. And you got the Joke. HAHAHAHA You are so quick it hurts me.<br /><br />*That is the excuse I use when someone tells me what I didn't do or see.<br /><br />Signed<br />Hedjug- The man with the pipe dreams.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

P.V. - See...was a well thought out comment so hard! You make some very good points...instead of just flat out bashing Bayliners (which you then lose all credibility for), you had some good points.<br /><br />In my particular case, I am somewhat restricted in size due to the place that I store my boat during the week...get any wider than my current boat, and it won't fit through the door. Plus, since I tow mine to the lakes, I personally don't want to pull a 23', 3,000# boat all over the place. I'm much more comfortable with a smaller boat, and don't feel the need for something bigger. <br /><br />Will I buy that particular boat? No...but only because I prefer an outboard configuration. Will I buy another Bayliner? I'll certainly consider them on par with other manufacturers..keeping features and the like in mind as well.<br /><br />Its the equalivent of saying, I'd never buy a Dodge product because their K-cars in the 80's were horrible. And...btw...I drive a 2002 F150...think what was made in the USA? Nope...Canada. A lot of Dodges are made in Mexico, a lot of Toyotas & Hondas are made in the USA. My only point is that the line of Made in the USA is pretty fuzzy these days...I think a person could argue pretty successfully, that purchasing a Bayliner (made in Mexico) keeps a lot of Brunswick people employed here in the USA.<br /><br />My final thought, being an owner of a Bayliner product, I'm a satisfied owner. Having had very little problems with my particular Bayliner, I'll be more than happy to consider their products again when I decide its time for a new boat. I'd be foolish not to look at others products, but that's what competition is all about.

mametron

Cadet

We are still enjoying our 1988 Bayliner Capri with a 85HP O/B motor. Pulls up my 6'4" friend out of the water and he can ski all over the place. Tubes? You bet, all summer long we pull tubers. The only problems I've seen and not happy with is the construction of the middle seats and lack of a solid deck.<br /><br />Other than this, still using the boat... In fact I believe my '88 (17' 6") has more "inside" room than the new 175 model. hahaha. Wow.<br /><br />L8rz!

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maxxpower,<br />Have you set your heart on a new boat? There are some great used boat in the 10K range. I recently purchased a mint 1997 Cobalt 190 for not much more and could not be happier.<br /><br />Ride,<br />When I find it I'll post a photo of a buddy (190 lbs) bare-footing behind a Simms Super V with only a 55 Yamaha. Granted only one in the boat and he would start lying on a wood disk with his feet wrapped around the rope. In the 80's all the bare-footers on our lake in the UK used 115 hp or less, thats all we could afford. :D

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

O.K., I stand corrected then,maybe it can be done, just dont seem like it would be a lotta fun though........

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

Is this where I accuse some of "bashing" K-cars??? Look, We are ask'd our opinions pertaining to various subjects. Do you want to hear what we think or do you just want us to say "Great _______", Buy it!?? Perhaps I should say nuth'n at all and let the thread just have comments about how great Bayliners are! (BTW, I never said Bayliners are POS, although the late 80's ones where "somewhat lacking"!! If you have one that has been good to you, then you are of the lucky bunch that got one!!Good for you!!) Just because I speaky the truth, does not lessen my credability with me! Maybe you think less of me but ...look, I'm sometimes inclined to "lay it on the line"! and say what I think!! I don't recall ever being a total "snot" to someone on this board, but I'm allowed to give my opinion just as you are!!! And sometimes mine may be a little more "cutting" than others!! Look, Maxxpower ask'd for thoughts on this particular boat/hull. If you want to tell him it's a great boat 'cause your 85 hp capri is a good boat, ... go at it! But you may be missing the point more than I!!!! Now, I've reread what I've just typed and am inclined to delete it some some won't read it amd think of me as such a "buttmunch"! .... so I'm not gunna! Have a good day!!

maxxpower

Seaman

Thanks for all the responses! I am a relatively new poster on this sight but I have been a spectator for a few years so I know how heated these Bayliner topics can be. I had no intentions of starting another controversy I just wanted to know a few facts about the construction of the new 175 model, and if any one actually had one I wanted to know what they liked and disliked about it. As I stated in the original post,I had right around $10,000 to spend on a boat. I did not want to go used because the market in my area seemed to favor sellers and not buyers. There was a limited selection and people were asking almost new prices fo 3 and 4 year old boats. Another reason I did not go used was because I have seen how some people take care of their new boats , leaving them outside in the rain uncovered for months at a time. I would be afraid of getting a boat like that because the signs of damage may not be evident right away. As for other new boats, I did a fair amount of research: The entry level Glastron SX 175 could not be had for less than $18,000 at one of the only dealers around. This boat is probably better in some ways but is primarily the same boat. The next on the list was the Stingray. The only problem here was the absence of a dealership in the state of Wisconsin. The list of new $10,000 boats is short and does not extend much beyond those choices. I did end up purchasing a new 175 on Monday and I pick it up tomorrow. This is not my first boat, it will replace my 1983 Bayliner Capri. I will admit that my old Capri was not the best made boat as the floor has rotted along with the stringers, cross frames, and possibly the transom. I only had the boat for a little over a year, but I know the previous owners took lousy care of it and left it exposed to the elements, Ironicly the Force 85 still runs great. The new boat, in my opinion, is well made and looks as good as any other I looked at. As far as size and power goes, My wife and I don't have any kids of our own so it is usually just us on the boat. Occasionally we have company [usually my little cousins 13 and 16], Who like to go tubing but I am not worried about power because our 85hp force had no problems. The boat will sit in my garage and only see fresh water so I am sure it will last a long time. As with anything proper maintanence is the key to longevity. Again thanks for all the responses!

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

The entry level Glastron SX 175 could not be had for less than $18,000
Man, that really stinks! Clearly had no intention at all of selling that model. Some dealers! :confused: <br /><br />Kelly