New Battery

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need to replace my battery this season in my 1984 20' Larson Cuddy. I have been reading up on all the different types of batteries like the gel cells, wet, and the new orbital cells. They all seem to have their good and not so good points.<br />Then when I figured I would just get a wet cell starting battery I saw the starting/deep cell batteries.<br /><br />Any good experiences with the dual purpose batteries? Do I really need one? I dont run much for electronics while fishing. Just VHF radio and Humminbird fish/depth finder for the most part, and nav lights in the evenings. <br /><br />I only have one battery so I dont want to get the wrong type. Any suggestions?

ranger69dv

Seaman Apprentice
Re: New Battery

I suggest an optima marine gel cell starting battery. They have up to twice as much true cranking power and last up to 3 times longer then most every other marine battery on the market. They are available at most marinas, and at auto zone. Dont get stranded because of a cheap battery.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

The Optima's are also available at Costco for a decent price. The big deal with the gell is they can't leak. I have holes in t-shirts from carrying batteries to the boat.

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are the gell cells that much better than wet cells? I know they talk a lot about them being spill proof. I haven't ever heard anything about the Optima batteries before. I have used Interstate in the past.<br /><br />Ranger, I see that you said to just get a starting and not a dual purpose. Is the dualpurpose a waste of money for my requirements?

Paul Moir

Admiral

Not to get things all confused, but those new AGM (Absorbtion Glass Mat) batteries are pretty cool. They can drop lots of current like a starting battery, but put up with deep cycling. Plus if you crack them, they will not leak.<br />For wet batteries, they make the plates thicker for deep cycle batteries to minimize damage. This unfortunetly reduces starting capacity. So a wet deep/starting battery is a compromise design. I don't know what they do to gell cells.<br />What size engine are you trying to turn over?

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Paul,<br />It is for a MerCruiser 120R. Nothing really big. I believe the battery I am replacing is only around 450 CCA.

petryshyn

Commander

mikecjn<br /><br />I'd recommend 2 cheaper batteries before I'd buy one expensive one. You will be way less likely to get stranded. Install a selector switch along with them. If you're in rough waters, go with a conventional marine battery. If you're not in much chop, go with a low maintenance automotive battery. (not maintenance free) :)

D

DJ

Mike,<br /><br />I would heed Schematics advice. He is the resident expert on all matters-electrical.

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Schematic,<br />I do like the idea of having 2 batteries better than just one. How difficult is it to set up a dual system? Is it basically just the adding of a battery selector switch and you are all set?<br />And by the way, why do you say to go with low maintenance rather than maintenance free on the automotive battery?

petryshyn

Commander

mikecjn<br />The wiring setup required is simple for a 2 battery setup. It is as you say, simply add a selector switch.<br />I wouldn't recommend a "maintenance free" battery in a circumstance where any loads would drag the battery down when the engine not running (radio's, finders etc.) "Maintenance free" batteries don't fully recover from deep discharges. Their life will be short if you cycle them a few times. "Low maintenance" and "regular maintenance" batteries are a better choice for this application. (regular maintenance being the best if you can find one) "Maintenance free" batteries also have a higher internal resistance which allows high voltage levels when used with unregulated charging systems (not yours in this case). They are great for automotive applications as long as you don't run a winch off of them.....<br /><br />Djohns19, you are too kind.... :)

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks everybody for the advice. I think I am going to look into doing the two battery setup. Figure two has to be better than just one anyway.<br />Again, thanks for the advice. :cool: