New Battery

This seems like a stupid question but I don't know. I bought a battery when I got my boat 2 years ago. It finally went bad because I didn't take very good care of it in the off-season. It was rated at 505 amps. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a new one. Not knowing a lot about the differences I just got the best one they had (most expensive). It's an EverStart Marine Maxx battery and it says 875 amps (cca). This can't hurt anything right?

petryshyn

Commander
Re: New Battery

The bigger the better. You are good to go!!! Just make sure you keep it charged in the off season... :)

That's kind of what I thought but wanted to make sure. I didn't own a charger the first year but have one now.<br /><br />By the way, anyone reading this have an idea how long a good battery should last or at least be reliable for a summer weekend boater with basically only a stereo and fishfinder that runs off the battery if I charge it up once a month in the off-season? 2, 3 years? More?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Greg<br />I agree 6 years or more. I do not know that battery but with 875 cca I assume it is a starting battery. Starting battery should not be allowed to run down like a deep cycle battery. Charge it once a month in the off season and durning use do not let it run down too far before rechargeing.

Boatist it says it's a marine battery. I will have to look at it again but I would think it's deep cycle. It had the most "reserve hours" of anything they had on the shelf. What does that mean? Now you got me worried.

petryshyn

Commander

GregCC167Concept<br />Why are you worried? What are you using this battery for? I agree that it sounds like a starting battery. It takes a large deep cycle to make 875 CCA.<br /><br />Reserve capacity is the number of minutes a battery can supply 25 amps without the voltage dropping below 10.2 volts at 80f.