new bass boats

johnntab

Seaman Apprentice
I am a long time fisherman, but I am still new to bass boats. My fishing buddy and I have used his 14' jon boat up to this point, but now we are ready to upgrade to a bass boat. I have looked at some of the big names in boats, and gotten a few prices. I am looking for something about 17 -19' with dual console for 20,000 or less. I know these are high expectations, but I have found a few prospects (Skeeter SX 180, Nitro NX 750). <br />I am looking for some advice from experienced boat buyers and sellers. What should I look for in a new boat to be used for bass fishing and occasional recreational boating? I have one specific question: What is a jackplate and what is it's purpose? The sales rep at local dealership advised that his boat did not have a jackplate, but he would recommend having one installed. <br />Also what HP engine is needed to get a good response and good handling from a 17-19' boat?<br />Thanks in advance for all your help<br />boatless bass man

red10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: new bass boats

bassman, a jackplate will allow to adjust the vertical height of the motor to get better performance and a "cleaner" path of water for the prop to run in. you might need at least a 150 hp motor for that boat depending on what you want for speed and acceleration.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Have you looked at aluminum bass boats? There are more and more companies offering aluminum bass boats with the features and capabilites of the glass boats, but the advantage is you do not need as much motor due to the much lighter weight of the boat. Less motor means less cost and less gas used. Less motor also means more money can go into more features. Also, an aluminum bass boat can go into shallower water and if you bump some rocks it doesn't matter, unlike glass that can be damaged. Tracker, Skeeter, Triton, Xpress, they all have aluminum variations and they look pretty sweet.<br /><br />A jack plate raises and lowers the motor. It does not tilt it, it simply raises it so less of the motor is in the water. It is essential on a high horsepower bass boat because is reduces chine walk and gives great speed more safely. If you buy a lower level boat with a 90 horse motor, you really do not need a jack plate, but you can buy one if you want. If you have a 250 horse motor, you will want the jackplate. Good luck....

JCSkeeter313

Seaman

hey, i am actually a new boat buyer also. i bought a older skeeter, for about 5k. although i havent had much expierence buying boats, i would have to say if you can find a skeeter for under 20k and its what your looking for i would definetly go with that. although if your looking for brand new, i know that nitro usually has so good deals on new boats for around your price range. but you could pick up a late 90s skeeter for a vary reasonable price. also if you live down south, it is a little easier to find a bass boat. i live in MN and it took me a few months to find what i wanted. i would say that i dont know everything about boats, but i do know that skeeter has been around for a while, so they have the basss boat thing down. i was in the same situation, i was fishing out of a smaller regular fishing boat, then i moved up to a real bass boat. it is a totally different experience to fish out of a bass boat. so hope you find something.

LubeDude

Admiral

You never mentioned if you wanted new or not. Nitro is a great boat for the money, However Ive noticed they do not seem to hold there value very well. I looked for a bass boat all summer long last year but the market is poor here in Oregon, Finally found one but wasnt looking to spend what you are.<br /><br />If I were to spend that kind of money, I would by a used Ranger, Triton, or Skeeter. The people that buy these boats generally take very good care of them and they will be set up with all the goodies that will send you to the poor house real quick if you buy new.<br /><br />There is always Ebay, There are some really good deals there on Bass Boats, Id only do this if it were close by where i could actually go see the boat before bidding though! Like this one.<br /><br /> Ebay Bass Boat

Old Jarhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bass Man...<br /><br />Jumping from a 14' Jon boat to a 18'-19' high powered bass boat might not be wise. <br /><br />There are smaller less powerful bass boats out there that might suit you and your fishing buddy better. At least for now.<br /><br />Sorry, don't mean to preach or condecend. Just my 2¢...

D

DJ

bass man,<br /><br />Save a few bucks for lures. Go with a moderately powered aluminum job (60-90 hp). They stiil have all the goodies; carpet, livewells, guages, depth finder, etc. Yet, they are much easier on the wallet, anyway you look at it. Remember, power it to at least 85% of rated capacity!<br /><br />Check out the G3 brand, among the others mentioned above.<br /><br />Happy Shopping! :D

LubeDude

Admiral

Remember the guy that did basically the same thing last year, almost killed himself. Come to think about it we havnt heard fromm him lately! :eek:

D

DJ

That's right LD. Forgot about that.<br /><br />What was his handle?

LubeDude

Admiral

I did a search and finally came up with it. For those that missed it, read all of it, it gets better as you go along. I was known as Hasbeen back then.<br /><br /> Am I missing something

johnntab

Seaman Apprentice

Guys I really appreciate all of your input. Thanks very much for the words of wisdom and the cautions about what can happen at high speeds. My plan is to buy a boat that will meet my fishing needs for the next few years, so I won't have to upgrade again soon. As for being careful, I will, trust me I will. I have spent many days on the lake being swamped in our jon boat. I have also ran the lake at 40-45 mph on a jet ski (I know they are annoying to fishermen, but I just had to be on the water one way or another.) From what I have learned here, I understand that a bass boat will not handle like my previous boats. I promise to take it slow and learn what the boat likes. I will readily admit that I am addicted to speed, but not on water because I don't have brakes to slow me down when I get scared. I read the posts about suzuki, and you have my full attention.<br />Thanks again<br />John