New Baby - Did I do alright?

redblur

Seaman Apprentice
I Just brought home my new baby. A 2001 Maxum SR1900 w 4.3 - Actually it's the second new baby, the literal new baby boy is 3 weeks old :) <br /><br />Anyway, I just wanted run this by you guys to see what you think. We'd been looking to buy a brand new boat (maybe within the next year). We were looking in the 20 - 21 ft range. I take good care of my stuff, store it indoors and just use it on smaller lakes so we were looking at the mid price/quality range (Stingray, Caravelle, etc.). We ran across a deal which made us jump quicker than we were thinking and go a little smaller than we'd planned but we figured that for the price we can upgrade when the kids get bigger if it's too small.<br /><br />We paid 12k for a 2001 Maxum SR1900 with 4.3 Merc, most options (sport seating with flip up bolsters, Bimini top, full canvas covers, upgraded gauges). The thing that floors me is it's got 10 hours, yes 10. Now normally I'd be suspicious of that and was very skeptical until I got a look at it in person and yes, it is actually in "new" condition and that's no exaggeration. The little rubber fingers are still on the tires, NO scratches on the stern drive or hull, etc. <br /><br />Was this as good a deal as I think it was? Worth changing my plans slightly and driving 5.5 hours round trip to pick up? There's a whole list of things that led to the guy just wanting to get rid of the boat which I won't go into, but are believable and so far have checked out. I was able to transfer and title the boat and trailer without trouble (which was one of my fears).<br /><br />So it's a foot less than we were looking at, with slightly less power than we wanted, but it's also 1/2 to 1/3 of the price I was expecting to pay and we still got a boat that's basically brand new. <br /><br />Did we do alright on the deal? I know Maxum is sometimes regarded as a dressed up Bayliner or is it a dressed down Sea Ray? Hmmm... ;) Any opinions on this boat?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: New Baby - Did I do alright?

As long as the motor and drive are checked out by a tech.,I would say Sweet!!Good luck.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Baby - Did I do alright?

Sounds like you done good! Hard to find deals like that and when you do, better jump on them. That boat at average retail according to NADA goes for $14,500. From what you say, it would be above average which really makes it a deal. If you sell it in the next couple of years, you should only be losing the money it takes for gas. Congrats on the new boat and even more congrats on the new Son!!! :)