New aluminum prop rubs slightly

3ric

Seaman
I have a 1985 Suzuki dt65. I bought it used with a stainless steel prop on it that seemed to fit just fine. I have since bought an aluminum prop to replace it. The new prop spins fine until I torque it down to the specified 40 ft/lbs, then it rubs just ever so slightly slightly on the gear case. I looked at the parts diagram and the assembly seems to be missing a 1 mm thick spacer/thrust washer which would probably provide the clearance the prop needs. Unfortunately, the washer is no longer in production, considered obsolete, and I can’t find one otherwise in the rather odd dimensions of 32.6x45x1 mm.

Any ideas on how I should proceed? Could I just fabricate one? I Don know that I could make it perfectly round, but I could get it pretty close. Does it need to be exactly 1mm thick or could it be say 3mm? Could it be a touch wider? Should I just sand a mm of the front of the prop?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Need to install a prop thrust washer thick enough for the prop not to rub against the propeller shaft housing or risk screwing it when the prop spins forward against it. A friend of mine didn't install a thrust washer on his new prop and in less than one hour at speed literally ate the prop housing, bad music !!

Happy Boating

3ric

Seaman
Finally found one that is pretty darn close in size at McMaster-Carr. Suzuki’s was 32.6 mm I’d and this one is 35, but otherwise same thickness and od. I think they called them ring shims or arbor shims