new alpha 1 exhaust bellow

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class
mech replaced all my bellows and the new exhaust bellow is not attached to drive like the old one. the old one was accordian-like. the new one only connects when the drive is down. is there any possibility of water backwashing up exhaust with this type bellow?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: new alpha 1 exhaust bellow

no

they just installed the exhaust tube instead of a bellows

the exhaust flappers/shutters in the y-pipe are what prevent water from entering the engine

the exhaust tube was created for the bravo III drives where the dual prop and resulting smaller exhaust passages in the props were creating a tremendous amount of suction - so much that the exhaust bellows were collapsing and not allowing exhaust/water to exit through the drive

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I consider it an Up-grade... Much easier installation wise...

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Merc bulletin mentions the tube is for driveshaft extension models. There's a chance of bellows expanding due to exhaust pressure, and pushing u-joint bellows into the U-joint, resulting in u-joint bellows failure.

My marina replaced my exhaust bellows with the tube, and I was kinda ticked-off, as the exhaust bellows had less than a season on it, and the tube is considerably louder..........I wound up going back to the bellows.

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class

just ran the upgrade this weekend, and seemed quieter, hard to compare w/o side-by-side operation. the mech changed the shift bellow but didn't test the interrupter...so guess what happened when i launched? my daughter was in boat and could only go backwards. i had to swim to boat, pull it up to shore, walk up to car to get tools and adjust the shift cable. LOL:( anyway adjusted it ot go forward w/o dying to save the day. it was her birthday. but still needs some tweeking for skiing.