New active e-bay id info scam

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have received 3 e-bay scams, via e-mail, in the last two days, just like the one my son's reveived several months ago.<br /><br />The first two were very sloppy in appearance, while the third and latest one was very authentic looking.<br /><br />As was the one from a while back, they all ask for your personal information, etc., that could cause financial problems and id theft for unaware users.<br /><br />I thought I would pass this along.<br /><br />...Bob in Calif...

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New active e-bay id info scam

Yea just hit the delete button and move on.

malibu4u

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Bob, I have received one that I thought was a scam as well up here in Canada. I am registered with ebay but have not used it yet as I am sure it is buyer beware when you purchase something but is there a sure fire way you can tell if it is a reputable person, company that you are buying from? I guess I am chicken so far to buy even thought I have found things I like. Besides, who doesn't like saving money?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

mailbu, check their feedback and see what others have to say about them(seller)

NYMINUTE

Captain

Is delete the same as Pooof??? Sure looks that way. Wifey and I both got them.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

I get them all the time and yes I "Poof" them. <br />I also get ones that appear to be from BankOne, it has a form to fill out with all your information and a little "Log In" button.<br />I can't believe people actually fall for these, though. If I need to change any information, I will go to the company's website and log in, not thru e-mail.<br /><br />"Poof 'em all, let the Mods sort 'em out!"<br /><br /> :D <br /><br />AK Chappy

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I get this sort of thing all the time, and I always delete it. I even delete legitemate mailings from my creditors and Ebay. If I want to know something, I log in and check. As far as buying from Ebay-ers, I have only had one incident in the years I have used Ebay, and the Paypal buyers protection program refunded my money promptly. Like what has already been said, look at the feedback. I tend to buy from businesses that sell through Ebay rather than private parties, you have a better chance of not being taken that way. Always pay with a credit card through Paypal, you are much much more protected than if you mail a money order or check. It costs money to cancel a check, you can't cancel a money order, but your credit card company or Paypal will reverse the transaction at no cost to you. Good luck...

spratt

Lieutenant

I got one from "Microsoft" (supposedly) the other day. It was simply a link to click for a security update. I am not stupid, just so's ya'll will know, and I right clicked on the link and got the properties on it...it was a redirect link to another site where they rent servers to folks for their private or business (spam I reckon) use. It doesn't seem to me that Microsoft has to use someone else's servers, plus the little giveaway also that the return email address was bogus...I did the iboats move, and POOFED it...just wonder how many unsuspecting souls clicked it to get their security update from Microsoft...

Link

Rear Admiral

Get them all the time... "Delete" come to mind

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I got one from ebay and deleted it then another and deleted it but they looked really good and I can see how people would be taken in.