"New" '67 33HP Evinrude, need controls and howto?

DallasJeff

Seaman
I bought a 33HP Evinrude off Craigslist today and it runs good but the controls are missing. My boat has always been set up for a tiller motor.

What would I need to get for remote operation? And is there a good guide to setting it all up?

Thanks.

DallasJeff

Seaman
Re: "New" '67 33HP Evinrude, need controls and howto?

Nevermind that last post. It looks to expensive and a lot of work even with a stick steer.

Now I'm shopping for a tiller and throttle shaft for a '67 Evinrude. Found some online but they want about $90-125 for them ouch.

jonesg

Admiral

craigslist or ebay for controls, outboard should always come with the controls as you discovered it can add to the price.

I see those older controls on craigs all the time for $50-75.
You need to get cables to fit your boat depending on length and where you want to place them. retrofitting back to tiller might cost more .

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

COntrol box and cables can be found fairly cheap but as you found out steering is the problem. I have no idea why EZ Glide sticks are so expensive but the are. If you have room to put a console the teleflex wheel systems aren't to bad.

DallasJeff

Seaman

Only paid $325 for the motor that has a recently replaced lower unit and good compression, 110 and 112 psi cold and dry. But it needs:

starter solenoid
starter switch
tiller handle or
controls and steering

I think the tiller route would be easier and cost about $150 for tiller arm and starter solenoid. The steering route would require installing some sort of console and stick steering plus the cost of controls which I think would be about $350 total plus a lot more work. I'll check Craigslist and Ebay to see what I can find.

Edit: this has become more of a steering and controls installation problem so I may start a new thread in the building/restoration forum or a moderator could move this. I pretty much have the motor and starter solenoid stuff figured out. Thanks for all the help from iBoats members over the last couple years.