new 20 hp honda with controls, no go, just idles

stevepgill

Cadet
Hello,<br /> I just installed a new 20 HP honda with tilt and forward controls. I can only get it to start and idle. The tilt also works. When I shift the lever full forward or back nothing happens. Just idles with no change in rpm. Did I miss something in the installation? There are two plug ins that go into the engine comapartment at the end of the control harness. Is something missing? You probably can tell that I am new to all this. Thnaks in advance for any help or tips you can give me before I embarrass myself at the dealer.<br /><br />Best Regards,<br />Steve Gill

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer
Re: new 20 hp honda with controls, no go, just idles

Does it go into gear?<br />It sounds to me like the push-rods are not hooked up behind your control lever.

stevepgill

Cadet

No it does not go into gear, is there another cable that needs to be hooked up besides the electrical cable with two plugs at the end?<br /><br />My control only has one large bundle of electrical cables, plus a small bundle of three that are for the tach and other gauges. Do I need a mechanical cabel out of the control box? If so that is the problem. I know I am a doo doo head at the moment but its my first boat.<br /><br />Steve

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

LOL. Well, I'm expert myself. So, you are saying you have a 20hp that is driven with a sterring wheel, not the tiller arm?<br />IF I may ask, did you buy this used or new, seperate motor from boat? It just sounds kinda odd that the boat/motor is not set up.<br /><br />If you have a steering wheel and a control box, you need two push rods to control the throttle and gear selection. These are hooked up in the forward control box. It's kinda the same principle as a ten speed bike changes gears. I hope I dont sound insulting, but if you did not know this then you would likely have trouble buying the parts and setting it up yourself. IF you bought this motor new, I would have expected it came with the necassary parts. Either way, it would be wise you let a pro set it up.<br />Although it will look quite different from yours, the following link shows pictures of how these push rods function:<br /><br /> http://photobucket.com/albums/y72/wwallace50/

stevepgill

Cadet

Maj bach,<br /> To the pro I shall go! Should I have gotten the push rods with the outboard?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Steve

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

Honestly, I'm not sure. I would expect no - being a 20 hp which is typically tiller drive. I'm not even sure if that's the proper term for them.<br />Good Luck.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The proper term for the push rods as you call them are "cables". You need two of them and they need to be the correct length for the boat. They run from the control box, down the side of the boat around the back and then form a slight loop as they most move from side-to-side as the engine pivots.

stevepgill

Cadet

Thanks everybody, I ran into a great tech up here and he showed me how to intall them.<br /><br />Steve

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

let us know how your first day of boating goes. Take it slow and watch for rocks!