New 100% composite boats: Why pay for the name brand such as Whaler?

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just wanted to get some opinions on today’s boats...they all seem to have the same power choices and most have 100% composite construction and stainless hardware (even entry level) leaving very little as your deciding factor on your boat choice. <br /><br />I know for years, the Boston Whalers, etc have been known to last forever, but you think the new entry level boats are built to the same standards (in terms of how long it will last, not features such as extra live wells, etc..)?<br /><br />If you don't think so, identify advantages in quality with an 18' Sea Pro ($15,400) vs18' Whaler Center console ($30,000+)<br /><br />Just seems like competition will drive down the price of big name brands in the near future because the number of years the boat will last might not be their exclusive pitch.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New 100% composite boats: Why pay for the name brand such as Whaler?

You need to learn more about Boston Whalers, Zoom. Check out their website, or the classic Whaler forum at continuouswave.com.<br /><br />How many other boats that are 30, 40 years old are worth more than they sold for new, and a bargain at that?

Osprey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Go to a boat show or dealers and really kick the tires, look under the hood and compare. Whaler, Grady, Parker, there is a big quality difference between these boats and others.<br /><br />If money is the issue I would consider buying used one of the above over most any other manufacturer. Just my two bits.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

True JB, but Zoom wasn't making exactly that point.<br /><br />He wasn't thinking about 30 or 40 year old Whalers, which we all know are excellent quality.<br /><br />He was wondering if todays Whalers, which - as you've said yourself many times - are not of the quality they once were, are still so much better in quality, compared to modern composite craft, as to justify the huge price difference (in the example he gave - two boats for the price of one!)

BUBBLES II

Seaman Apprentice

They're good boats and I like them but, I can't justify the high price of new Whalers. If you want a fishing boat, get one that knows it's a fishing boat. Look at a Hydrasports or McKee. Fit and finish are high quality. Compare what you get with them, HP, room and storage, to Montauk or Outrage. Then, compare price. If you can explain why Whaler is so much more, please, do.

11 footer

Lieutenant

I peronsally dissagree with the motion that new whalers arn't up to the same quality as the old ones.<br /><br />They are a solid boat, and require less matence then the old ones. You get what you pay for.<br /><br />That being said, I think they are overpriced and wouldn't buy a new whaler. Look at some older ones. For 7-12 grand you can get a nice 80's whaler with pleaty of attractive teak. Not only will you have a solid boat but one that will get noticed.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Everyone to his own priorities, Bubbles.<br /><br />If you don't know the differences you certainly shouldn't pay for them.

BUBBLES II

Seaman Apprentice

I don't know. Please, explain. For everyone, not just me. That's what this thread is about.

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After some research, it does look like Whaler uses a lot more foam, has tin/copper wires, can float level and run even when filled with water. It also looks like the glass is layered 3 different ways rather than just two. In the open sea, this might be worth the extra coin.