new 07 40 hp merc leaks gas

jeffb928

Cadet
Hello need some help about new motor trouble, new motor is leaking gas from under front of shroud out of a small white plastic fitting. I opened the shroud when i saw it leaking because i thought maybe a fuel hose came loose or broke ,and that this fitting was a drain of some kind but it has some kind of a hose on it . any ideas on why gas would leak here only when idle or slow speed not when moving fast? also runs fine ! would like to know if it is something that i could fix??? Thanks jeffb

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: new 07 40 hp merc leaks gas

It's a brand new motor. Back to the dealer it goes as it's under warranty. If you can't pinpoint the source of the leak we sure can't as we can't see your engine.

jeffb928

Cadet

It's a brand new motor. Back to the dealer it goes as it's under warranty. If you can't pinpoint the source of the leak we sure can't as we can't see your engine.
Thanks Silver,I thought I did pinpoint the leak it's on the front ,bottom right side of the motor as you are looking at it from the boat. It's a small white plastic fitting that is mounted in the bottom of the motor shroud,if you lift off the motor cover and look in from the starboard side front, you would see a fuel line type hose attached to this fitting. anyway long story short I beleive this is designed to do what it did because i had the boat out last night and it was fine,no fuel dripping out of fitting,however this time out i did not run the motor wide open and then back off and shut down right away like when this trouble started. also I thought maybe someone else out there might have had the same problem and would know if that was indeed what that drain was for. I think i'll buy the service manuel and find out what that drain is really for,the only thing i can think of is maybe it's some kind of a bypass or something???any way thanks for the response!!!jeffb

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Is this a two-stroke or four-stroke motor? Where does the hose you talk about connect to on the opposite end of the white fitting.

if the fuel line hooks directly into this peice that is leaking fuel it is most likely the check valve . and should be covered under your warranty as the other gentlemen stated.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It is not normal for fuel to be directed outside the engine and into the water. The EPA doesn't like that so this fitting is definitely not an overflow! If the engine is leaking gas while its running you need to get it back for warranty work as this presents a fire hazard to you and anyone around your boat. This is not normal and I can't tell from your description what the "source" of the hose is. I'm not aware of a white fitting on the lower front of a two-stroke engine cowl. I would suggest posting a picture but why bother. The engine needs to be serviced.

jeffb928

Cadet

:(:(Hello again silver, the motor is a four-stroke. The other end of the hose goes to the top rear of the vapor separator ,hasn't happened again our last3 times on the lake. don't know what is going on? called merc dealer can't get in until mid July,Thanks for the help!

jeffb928

Cadet

Hello again silver,the motor is a four-stroke.the other end of the hose goes to the top rear of the vapor separator,hasn't happened again only the one time! called dealer can't get in until mid July Thanks for the help!jeff