Never run outdrive up when in shallow H20?

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am buying a new Glastron MX 175 i/o this weekend and I was told by a friend that you should never run boat with outdrive tilted up. I have done this when docking or launching because at low tide, the water can get shallow and I don't want to ding my prop. Also, I was told not to flush engine out in driveway with outdrive up. <br /><br />Will doing this ruin u-joint (at low rpm)? If so, I might have to consider getting outboard. Thanks.<br /><br />-Zoom

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Never run outdrive up when in shallow H20?

As long as you are not reving the motor up and keeping it at or just above an idle, it shouldn't hurt anything. As far as running it in the driveway, the ONLY reason I can see for not running tilted is after you are finished, the lower unit will be full of water. As far as shallow water running, that's what the trim/tilt is for.<br /><br />Craig

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thats good to know and makes sense...whey would you have tilt option if you could not tilt outdrive up...plus I have a button that you push to bring it far up when transporting on trailer that would prevent me from raising it too high. Thanks!

rogerwa

Commander

The higher you have the drive tilted up the more pressure you will put on the u-joints. I run mine very sparingly above the trim range and never when fully up or close to it..<br /><br />YOu will notice a lot of noise when tilted all the way up. In my view that is not a good noise and will ultimatley shorten the life of the joints..<br /><br />You have both Tilt and Trim. Trim is the range of movement while underway to correct planing and other attitude adjustments.<br /><br />Tilt is also called trailer position. The reason the have the limitation on the trim range is to keep them separate so you don't run at dangerous drive position..

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I emailed Glastron and they sent me 2 replies:<br /><br />1. Hello, , I have contacted both outdrive manufacturers and this is what they suggests.<br /><br />Do not exceed 1000 RPM when operating the drive unit in the tilted position, propeller damage can occur. Never run the engine when the drive unit is tilted more than 30 degrees or the drive will be damaged.<br /><br />2. At low RPM's the u-joint in the outdrive should be ok. It will wear out faster at a high RPM if at near full tilt. Here are some measurements you<br />should keep in mind. The draft with the drive down is 31" and when the drive up the draft is 16". If I may be of further assistance, please do not<br />hesitate to contact me.<br /><br />I thought this was interesting...Also, I found out that even when not in gear, damage to u-joint can occur when flushing in driveway.

rogerwa

Commander

I'm not sure how prop damage can occur when drive is tilted. Sounds like the offshored their support.<br /><br />I think the 30 degree thing is about right. Fully tilted would probably be about 50 degrees I would guess.<br /><br />Also the shifting of gears takes place at the very bottom of the outdrive. When out of gear the drive both the vertical and horizontal shafts are moving. The u-joints would then obviously be spinning as well. The only thing not spinning is the prop shaft.

QC

Supreme Mariner

The Mercruiser manual says you can run it all the way up as long as you don't exceed 1200 RPM. The Volvo manual says same but limits to 1000 RPM.