Neutral Start Switch

Utah

Cadet
Hi, I have a 1980 Johnson 15hp. The other day I tried to force the shifting lever into gear and ended up breaking the plastic piece that holds the shifting link in place to make contact with the neutral start switch. I was wondering if that switch is a mandatory item on this engine? Is there any way to disable it, so that the engine will start while in any gear? I noticed a red wire leading to that switch. If I simply cut that wire, would the engine still start regardless of what gear it was in? If so, I would imagine that this would be the quickest solution, as my father and me were planing on taking it out this sunday. Just didn't want to do more damage than I've already done without consulting some people who I'm sure have a lot more insight that I do. Thanks in advanced for your help.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Neutral Start Switch

Disabling safety features is always a very bad idea, Utah.<br /><br />I urge you to fix it.

Utah

Cadet

I realize that safety features are there for a reason, but in this situation, I would be the only one ever controling the motor, so as long as I knew it needed to be in neutral, I don't view it as a safety hazard. Plus if we can't get it up and working by sunday, then it will ruin our hunting trip planned for the following week (going to set up tree stands this sunday, but only if boat is working).

huntandhook

Seaman

The Neutral safety didn't work on my 40Hp Johnson when I bought it and I never bothered to fix it. As long as the throttle is at idle it doesn't seem to be much of a hazard if I accidently start it in gear(Neutral can be hard to find). I'm sure its not good for the motor to start it in gear, but I've never been thrown out of the boat because of it. I doubt a 15Hp would have much thrust if you started in gear at low throttle. It probably is a good idea to have the safety switch working, especially if you let someone else run the boat, but I wouldnt ruin a hunting trip because of it. What are you hunting for? P

Utah

Cadet

I have no intentions of starting it in gear. But as it is now, there is no way to engage the switch unless the case is completly off (in which case I can just push it down with a finger). I just want to know if I cut that wire, will it allow me to bypass the switch so that the engine will start? By the way, were huting for deer, archery season. Were hunting on the backside of a swamp hoping there will be less presure back there from other hunters...

huntandhook

Seaman

My motor is a '79 40hp and the neutral start switch has a wire that goes to ground. If your switch is similar, simply disconnect the ground lead and tape it up. This should disable the switch, without having to cut wires that you will have to repair later. Good luck on the hunt. All we have on the Island here are little black-tail, not near the size of the deer you got out there I'm sure but fun to hunt in the thick bush with a 44mag.

Xcusme

Commander

Despite the already good advice mentioned above, you're probably going to bypass the switch. We here at iboats strive to keep folks safe and help them avoid accidents. So, with all that said, here goes. If you cut either wire on the Neutral Start Switch, the motor will never start. If the switch has 2 wires and you short the two wires together, it will bypass the switch. If the switch has only one wire, connect it to motor ground, that should bypass the switch. As JB has mentioned, it's never a good idea to bypass safety devices, it was built-in for a purpose. I can only hope you take the time to properly fix the broken part. I would hate to have to say later , 'Told you so...'<br /><br />Have a safe trip and check for neutral gear BEFORE you hit the start button.

Utah

Cadet

Thanks for the helps guys. Xcusme, that makes perfect since now that I think about it. As long as the electrical circuit is completed, the engine will think its in neutral. But to my surprise, I found the part that I needed today in an outboard repair shop. I just happened to be driving by, saw the sign and stopped in. As I was walking in, the owner happened to be taking apart a Johnson motor, and low and behold, the part I needed was right there staring me in the face. I paid $15 for the proper part, and it installed in no time at all. Thanks again guys...