Neutra Salt System Solenoid and pully question VP 5.7 Gi-f

MalibuMike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The boat I purchased has a Neutra salt flushing system installed. I made a mark on the solution tank hoping to see how much solution was added to the rinse. I held it for 45 seconds and then checked the level to see that it had not moved. I'm suspecting the solenoid shown here. It looks similar to a solenoid on a sprinkler valve so I'm guess that when an electrical charge is sent, a magnet or one way valve is opened up allowing the solution to flow. Since I think the solenoid might be bad what is best way to test it? I'm thinking I could disconnect the outflow and then turn the switch? Or will I hear a click in the solenoid? Next question is about this pully which might be failing. It is right below the thermostat housing. Checked the manual and could not find it listed. Not sure what it does. I also could not find any tensioner if I want to replace the belt. In the engine diagram picture, I dont have number 11 tensioner and not sure why they didnt label the pully.

Note- I did just find this archived. " I would put a meter on the contacts of the switch and confirm it only has continuity when the switch is depressed. If it always has continuity, then you need a new momentary switch.

Attachments

• IMG_2556.jpg
    IMG_2556.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2555.jpg
    IMG_2555.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 8.22.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 8.22.49 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 12

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Do you hear the solenoid click when you depress your switch?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Not familiar with the neutra salt system but the pulley you referenced is simply an idler pulley and the tensioner is part # 11. If you need to replace there is a Volvo Penta parts catalog linked to iBoats you need your model # to order parts. The bearings in the idler and tensioner can wear out and start making noise.

MalibuMike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I’m at my boat right now and here is a photo of all the pulleys. I don’t see anything on here that would act as a tensioner. There is no pully swinging on any kind of spring loaded arm.
image.jpg

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
@MalibuMike, To test the solenoid, first make sure you're getting 12V to it when the switch is depressed with multimeter to the two wires. Then confirm the inlet hose is not plugged by removing it from the solenoid and confirming solution flow. Then do as you suggest by removing the outlet hose, depress the switch, and see if solution comes out. If it does, then there is blockage between the solenoid and the tee at the inlet hose to the raw water pump.

It's probably a failed solenoid. I replaced mine last year.

A pulley failure won't cause a Neutra salt fault, other than a failed raw water pump, which would be a much bigger concern for engine cooling and overtemp.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Your actual boat is different than the diagram you posted. That diagram had a tensioner, on yours you seem to have 2 idlers. The adjustment is made by moving either the alternator or the P/S pump, whichever it is that has adjustable mounts.
Its a good idea at the start of each season to loosen the belt and spin each pulley to check for bearings that are getting rough.

MalibuMike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thank you all. I do know that the Neutra salt system solenoid is separate from the pulleys I’m trying to diagnose. I’m telling you I looked for 10 minutes plus trying to figure out if the alternator pivoted on a bolt or the power steering reservoir pivoted somehow and just could not for the life of me find a pivot point with a tightening nut like you would on a car alternator back when it was the source of tension. I’ll probably post a photo of my engine on a separate thread so somebody can recognize this particular engine and tell me how to do it.Stay tuned for pictures of the outlet portion of the riser!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The neutrasalt system may be plugged. Its a simple system, however requires the raw water pump to be pushing water to work.

MalibuMike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Figured out the tensioner! Its the item 11 on this diagram. It's an automatic tensioner. I had never heard of one before so the mechanism behind it was unfamiliar.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 10.41.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 10.41.54 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Figured out the tensioner! Its the item 11 on this diagram. It's an automatic tensioner. I had never heard of one before so the mechanism behind it was unfamiliar.
they are simply a spring loaded arm. been used since the 80's

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Ok see it now. Yes those tensioners are commonly used I have one on my ‘07 Jeep 5.7 Hemi. My ancient 4.3 still has V belts.