Needle valve packing ????

63 Evinrude

Cadet
I’m in the process of rebuilding the carb on my 18hp 63 Evinrude and have a very basic question. The carb kit I got came with needle valve packing. Well the packing will not fit into the High/Low Needle valve openings the Selco manual says to put three in each. So I did jam them in there and the needle valves won’t screw in. I’m really new to this so any advice will be very helpful. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to answer my questions.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Needle valve packing ????

This may be a little hard to explain, so bear with me. First! did you remove the old packing? If so, place the needle valve packing nut on the needle valve, From the point end of the valve, thread on 3 cork packing washers, then 1 nylon packing washer,nylon being first into the carb. Oil packing with squirt can. Start needle into carb, then bush packing into carb, and start packing nut finger tight. screw in needle valve until it seats, back off needle 1-1/2 turns. Tighten packing nut for moderate friction on needle valve.

63 Evinrude

Cadet

Thanks for the response. I did remove the little bit of material from the old packing. Now the packing that came with the kit is a fairly good amount bigger than the packing nut hole. Is this normal? If so I guess I just kind of force it around the already installed needle valve and then hand tighten the packing nut behind it??

Xcusme

Commander

You might want to re-check the 'order' of the packing and washer. My manuals show the packing goes into the carb body first, followed by the nylon washer. The packing nut would ride on the nylon washer, compressing the packing, effecting the shaft seal.

63 Evinrude

Cadet

I just contacted my supplier about the packing being too large and they said they had a very large amount of the carb kits I got for my 63 18hp Evinrude go out with the wrong size packing in it, so I’m going to get the replacements today. Thanks for replying to my questions.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

When removing the fiber washer packing from the carb, this packing when old and dry can be very hard to pick out. Here is what works well for me. Get a 7/16-20 bottoming tap, grind the starting flutes off, leaving a very sharp face cutter. This will cut the old packing out right down to the bottom of the hole. As soon as you feel the tap bottom, stop. Remove the soft plug on top of the carb. Now you can use compressed air to blow back , and blow out the old packing