Needing Help

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1992 20 hp Johnson its a j20crend. First question. Is it ok to put some kind of screen over the front of the carburetor? Im afraid that something might get sucked into it. Next question. If the motor is tilted up as if you trimmed it up a little or after its been on the trailer with the motor up on the transom saver there is some fuel that leaks (comes out of) the small hole at the front bottom of the carb,it run down into the bottom motor housing and starts to build up or run out of a drain hole that is in the housing is this normal? The Carb was gone threw and a kit put in at the end of last summer. Appreciate any help.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Needing Help

The cowling should stop anything getting in there, if you start covering it up you start restricting the airflow in there and you will be running it richer than designed too.

Does your primer bulb hold firm with engine turned off and in the position you use at for boating?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Ok thats good. not sure if the leak is normal but if primer bulb holding firm thats a good sign its ok while it s running

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The motor run great it just starting to get a little messy on the bottom housing.

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The motor run great it just starting to get a little messy on the bottom housing.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Sorry not sure if thats normal for it to drain while tilted a bit, my old redband merc use to do that, it was normal on that motor.
My 82 johnson doesnt do that, someone will probably read this and let you know if its normal