NEED WIREING HELP

mercbob

Recruit
I just bought a 1969 Larson tri hual that has been all redone within the inside, same motor same gauges, i am in the process of rewireing. My question is i made new dashes for in out 90 thou alluminum and my gauges are metal on the out side. all wires go to the right place, boat starts fine but then when you go to turn the key of the boat continues to run is there elec going through my dash that is keeping the boat running, do i need to insulate those gauges. HELP PLEASE mercbob

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: NEED WIREING HELP

You know, I did something similar by accident. I repowered this past winter and a tach came along with the new guages. I wired the tach with the stock wireing harness for the engine but the rest of the boat was my own wireing (I rewired it about a year ago). When it was all hooked up the only thing that wasn't wired in was the back light for the tach. So I just tied into the rest of the guage lights and thought that would be fine. The dash lights were tied to the navigation lights, when they were on the dash lit up. Unfortunately it also created sort of a reverse loop and that light connection to the tach was really the only thing that jumped over between the boat's electrical system and the engines. The result was that when my navigation lights were turned on the engine would not shut off. I would not have noticed it at all because I so rarely boat at night and when the lights were turned on in the early mornings the engine was already running anyway. What tipped me off was one day when I had the lights on because I was doing something else inthe boat. I heard the tell-tale click of the hour meter turning over a fresh minute. Needless to say I disconeected the tach light immediately.<br /><br />Thom