Need to patch an air mattress

Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyKenCan

Commander
Have you tryed copiuos amounts of crazy glue?<br /><br />Now seriously, I haven't a clue!<br /><br />Sorry.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Need to patch an air mattress

Going camping this weekend. I gave up sleeping on the ground a long time ago - those air mattresses sleep great, but mine's got a little hole in it, about three-quarters inch. This is one of those green ones with the velvety finish on top. I've had some luck patching them in the past with the kit that comes with 'em, but I ran out of the adhesive or solvent or whatever it is & haven't found anything that works as good. <br /><br />It's some kind of vinyl; I thought it was PVC, but PVC pipe cement didn't work. Anybody know of a glue that will bond with this stuff?<br /><br />I know they're not expensive, but still I'd rather repair than replace.<br /><br />thanks,<br />jtw

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need to patch an air mattress

JB Weld?<br /><br />You might try some of the vinyl repair kits that are available at some auto parts stores and car dealerships. They work on car seat covers, so they might work on that.

oddjob

Commander

Go to a pool supply store and grab a out of ground pool liner repair kit. works in a pinch.3-4$

I've had luck with the tube repair kits like you use for bicycles on the heavier mattresses. Be generous with the adhesive and put a match to it to heat it really well... extinguish and apply the rubber patch. Keep a lot of pressure on it until it cures.<br /><br />I know it sounds like a Super Dave stunt waiting to go bad, but be careful and it should work. Don't try it if it's one of those thinner mattresses though, or you'll just have a bigger hole with wrinkled black edges. :eek:

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

There is a product called "E6000", it has a stylene base. Sorta smells just like the old model glue. You know the stuff your not surpose to sniff? :p <br /><br />I have used it successfully in patching ski tubes and air mattresses. If the hole is real big, you may need to find some material like your patching to put over the hole. Rough up the material with some 80 grit sandpaper for better holding power. This stuff when dry is still flexible.<br /><br />Good Luck.....

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Aqua-Seal,<br /><br />You can get it at most dive stores, and some sporting goods stores. The stuff is amazing. It will stick to you air mattress. If there is a large gap, you may need to put a patch over it and aqua seal the patch in place. It is slow to dry (hour to skim, 24 hours to use.) It is also a thick liquid, so it does run. You can mix it with a solvent called cotol, to make it cure faster. The cotol can be ound with the aqua seal.<br /><br />The onl thing I want to warn about, buy the smallest tube that will fix you problem. Once you open it, it always hardens.<br /><br />Good Luck

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I second Capt. Kidd's idea. JB Weld works well. Sticks to anything. I used it to patch an air matress, but have yet to blow it back up. I am sure it worked though!

mattttt25

Commander

agree with oddjob. the vinyl pool liner repair kits are a few bucks, easy to use, and work great. if they can produce a seal while under water, i can't see it not working for you.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by SS MAYFLOAT:<br /> .....There is a product called "E6000", it has a stylene base. Sorta smells just like the old model glue. You know the stuff your not surpose to sniff? .....
Now I gotta go sniff model airplane glue so I will know how to identify E6000 if I ever need it. <br /> :D :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by SS MAYFLOAT:<br /> There is a product called "E6000", it has a stylene base. Sorta smells just like the old model glue. You know the stuff your not surpose to sniff? :p
That explains everything now SS.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Excellent!<br /><br />Surprised nobody mentioned duct tape. It will work but not for long. Even if you staple it in place.<br /><br />thanks!

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

JT, Thats what I would do is use duct tape and staples. You heading back to Richland Chambers? I'm leaving next week for Caddo.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Try some Marine GOOP. You can usually get it at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Pretty good stuff.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

just nail a small piece of plywood over the hole, making sure to thriple coat both sides of it with epoxy resin. Then another coat of resin, 2 layers of fiberglass matting, and 2 more coats of resin, and ofcourse gelcoat. Make sure you use 3M 5200 around the nail holes.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

roscoe, does that have to be marine plywood?<br /><br />I cut a patch from an old air mattress & sealed it up with JBWeld. thanks, everbody!<br /><br />cajun: last weekend's trip was to Bridgeport - perfect camping weather, marginal fishing success with a few undersized hybrids. I'm thinking maybe it's time for a striper trip to Texoma. Let us know how it goes on Caddo. There's a bend called "Devil's Elbow" in the bayou channel about 6 miles upstream from the state park, with a ledge right in the middle where the bass (whites, blacks & yellows) lay up & gobble whatever food floats downstream. There's a slough that joins the bayou right there, heading off to the west (maybe northwest?). You can anchor alongside the tree line on the south side (maybe west/southwest side?) about 30 yards from the mouth of that slough and cast straight to the middle of the bend, let your bait sink, and be ready for 'em to grab it on the fall. In the spring they were feeding on baby crawfish - we got 'em with pumpkinseed tube jigs. This time of year probably something different. Didn't catch any crappie there, but there is some brush down on that ledge - maybe they're there. But don't anchor in the middle there; boats come around the bend sometimes pretty fast. good luck!

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> roscoe, does that have to be marine plywood?<br /><br />I cut a patch from an old air mattress & sealed it up with JBWeld. thanks, everbody!<br /><br />
I knew JB Weld would fix it. See above.<br /> :D :D

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Me too! I am such good friends with JB Weld he lets me call him JB, instead of Mr. Weld.

Status
Not open for further replies.