need to clean carburetor

I have a 80 Johnson 70HP that I believe needs a carburetor cleaning. It is a 3 cylinder and I have never taken apart a 3 cylinder to clean the carbs. Are there any tricks I need to know before I begin tearing down the carbs?

Greg Lawrence

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: need to clean carburetor

that omc engine tuner works good to break it all down, blow compressed air if you got it thru everything. pretty easy job

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Yes there are tricks.Remove all the little core plugs that come with the kit, and really clean these carb s completely.And when you think you are done, clean them again ,all with some good aresol carb cleaner and compressed air.Install the new core plugs in the bowl, install the float and set the levels,assemble the carbs and install the external core plugs and seal them with,Gasoilia,3M, or my fave,nail polish.Then go thru the sync and link procedure after the carbs are back on.

Thanks for the information. Can someone briefly explain the sync and link procedure I have heard mentioned?

aeronutt29

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is nothing more than adjusting the linkages to make sure each carburetor opens at exactly the same time. If one carburetor opens significantly quicker than the others it tends to make the motor not run so smooth. To do it, just open the throttle by hand while looking at/into the carburetors. Adjust the linkages until they all open at exactly the same time and exactly the same amount. It may sound a little daunting, but it really is an easy job.