Need to Change Outdrive Gaskets?

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had to remove the outdrive from the transom/gimball assembly (6 nuts) to check the U-joint. Do I need to replace all the O-rings and gaskets? They seem to be in good condition. <br /><br />This is a Model I outdrive, 1984. I think they were replaced about 3 years ago by former owner.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Need to Change Outdrive Gaskets?

The set costs less than $5 so I replace it every time I remove the drive and it is recommended to do so.If you just put the new gaskets on this season and had to take the drive off shortly after,you can reuse them but I would not.Charlie

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

The hassle isn't so much the cost as getting the parts (shops are not close to me). But I guess it's better to be safe.<br /><br />One of the U-joint bearing cups came off somehow. Found it and the roller pins laying in the bellows. Do you think I can simply press on a new bearing cup and bearings to the spider and yoke? Manual says to replace the spider and bearings whenever the drive shaft is out of the housing! Sounds like overkill to me.<br /><br />Manual calls for all sorts of different lubricant and grease. Do you use U-joint grease C-92-74058 per the manual? I don't know what that is. It also calls for perfect seal, and a "water-resistant lubricant" on the gasket.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Cant give an answer as how to put it back together because I never had to.I always like to go new if it aint too much.I use marine wheel bearing grease on the ujoints for 20 years now without a problem.I also smear a light coating on both surfaces before putting gasket on.the rubber o rings and large rubber gasket is put on with bellows adhesive or 3m or equivalent weather stripping glue.Charlie

flashback

Captain

Rhadly, If you found the cup and needles in the bellows, then most likely the journals on the spyder have been damaged either by banging against the yoke or while dismantling itself, I would not chance using the same u-joints, I would also be wary of the yoke.... as far as the gaskets go, use your own judgement. if they are in good condition you can probably re-use them, but like charlie said, you know the new ones are good..........

Rickles

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wouldn't reuse any gasket.Period!The o-rings on the input can be reused if they're not flat or cut but replace them as a precaution.U-joints can be greased with marine wheel bearing grease and work just fine.If water gets in the bellows from a used gasket you'll be paying alot more than the price of a gasket kit.

Bondo

Staff member

NAPA has All the Parts,+ Gaskets you'll Need........<br />Don't Reuse a $5.00 Gasket Set.....<br />Or a $15.00 U-Jiont........<br /><br />That's a Truely False Economy..........<br /><br />Houston is a Big town......<br />I'm Sure the Parts are Available Locally........

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

NAPA is a good idea-that is close. Thanks.<br /><br />Please clarify what to put on the seal that is outside of the U-joint. It is quite large (maybe 4") and appears to seal water entry into the bellows area from the rear. It is so large I would think it difficult to seal well. Is that where you put adhesive before you slide in the outdrive, Charlie?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Thats right!! clean the metal good and smear the glue into the angle so it gets on both surfaces of the metal and let it dry.also smear the glue on the large rubber seal and let it dry.It will dry fast.then put another coat of glue on either surface with the dried glue but not both.Then put the seal in the belhousing and press it all around.It should stick immediately.When you put the drive back on make sure you grease the mating surface so it does not get glued together to the seal.Charlie

Bondo

Staff member

I just Skip the Glue,+ Use enough Grease to hold everything in place, till it slides together........... :D <br />Gaskets are NAPA #18-2618

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just picked up the 18-2618 gasket kit. It looks OK except there are 2 smaller O-rings that I don't see where they go. They are too small for the drive shaft.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Mine had those too, though I have an OMC. Just saved them in the "BOAT PARTS" box in may garage....

Bondo

Staff member

It's a Strech, But those o-rings will roll up the drive shaft.........

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Aah, OK. Well when I take the drive off in the fall I'll be sure to put the new ones on. :)

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Take the old orings off the drive shaft and replace them with the new ones .Just roll em on like a con.. ...well you know what I mean. Charlie