Need to buy new complete I/O

novelles

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Masters, I am here again to get some knowledge. I guess this is the right place in the forum since I could not find any better.<br /><br />My 1994 mercruiser 3.0 lx engine is going to need a deep repair soon since there is a hard noise in it. As in Spain parts are much more expensive than in the States, and the engine is 12 years old and I do not trust it (the owner before did not take much care), I am thinking on buying a whole I/O in the States and ship it to Mallorca.<br /><br />Dou you know any good and cheap dealer who ships worldwide where I can get a full package?<br /><br />If I try to repair mine it is going to take a lot of money, time and patience to get it well done. I do not have the time and place to try to rebuild it myself.<br /><br />By the way, my boat is a Bayliner 1851 SS Capri and I wonder if it would take any other I/O more powerful and wether is good or not to do it.<br /><br />Thanks a lot.

goodtimeguy

Cadet
Re: Need to buy new complete I/O

I've recently been dealing with a company obparts.com tel# 1-270-781-2473. They seem to be pretty good. If they can't help you i'm sure they could direct you.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Check out www.dougrussell.com they do sell complete power packages for Merc and Volvo, see if they will ship to Spain.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I have dealt with ebasicpower.com with good results and prices. (They are rude in their customer service department, but they do have good prices). I don't know about the overseas shipping, but you can certainly ask them.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Dont take this the wrong way,but putting a new set up in that vintage boat is not money well spent.For what you can get for your rig selling it and what you plan on spending plus labor and headache.I would come up with a total in your head and go boat shopping.You can probably find a well maintained boat newer than your current boat for that sum of money.Charlie

Bondo

Staff member

I gotta think that the Cost of what you're Looking for is going to be Astrominomical.......<br /><br />This is a 10 year old Bayliner........<br /><br />I think Charlie is Right.........

novelles

Seaman Apprentice

Charlie and Bondo, you may be right. I've been thinking about the different options and I'm blocked.<br /><br />Option 1 - Engine repair: According to the parts cost (almost 50% more than in the US) and mechanics work, it will be about 1.500-2000$ spent in a 10 year engine. Too much for such and old engine I think.<br /><br />Option 2 - Buying a rebuilt engine: I could get one for about 2.000$. Full installation 2.500 but still old carb, old manifold, old gimbal and old sterndrive. Bad deal I guess.<br /><br />Option 3 - Buying a full package: I could get one shipped to Spain for about 6.000$, but is it worth it for this vessel? I would feel much more comfortable with a new engine, gimbal and stern that I would maintain properly (I have a 14 years old Suzuki Swift 1.3 GTI with 200.000 km like new). But still a 10 year old vessel.<br /><br />I know what you mean when you say it is too much, but boats are much more expensive here than in the States, mainly because of the high taxes we have to pay. You can get a 6m (20 ft) runabout with a 3.0 I/O from about 40.000$. If I spend 6.000$ and have a boat for another 10 years, would it be a good deal?<br /><br />On the other hand, I could try selling my boat (I could get about 12.000$) and spend 30.000$ in a new one.<br /><br />I gotta think about all this but some help would be appreciated.<br /><br />By the way, use in really salty water (Mediterranean sea), and raw water circuit in my actual engine so it is probably really old.