Need to buy a new outboard

Ed Williamson

Recruit
My 60hp Merc has just been diagnosed as terminal, so I have to purchase a new motor. I have been burned (bad) buying a used one, so does anybody have any advise on the best buy in a 50-70hp outboard that will be used in brackish and salt water? Reliability is priority number one, followed by price.<br />Thanks,<br />Ed

scupbarron

Recruit
Re: Need to buy a new outboard

Buy a johson or evinrude 60/70 hp ...great ultra-reliable and durable egines ...use them commercially and swear by OMC products ....couldnt be bothered with a Merc....poor durability and bad experiences of others steered me far from merc. Thus far the Honda and suzuki 4 strokes look real good too ...but they are heavy and a bit more spendy. Upside of them is 50% better fuel economy and possibly a longer lasting motor. Jury is still out on that since they havent been out long enough to tell for certain.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need to buy a new outboard

Amen to the recommendation of OMC 60 or 70. My experience has been excellent with the 70 and the 60 must be just as good. I have no experience with Mercs. I did that on purpose.