Need thoughts from the car gurus

aspeck

Staff member
I am looking at a possible daily drive ... good price, low mileage (22,000) ... but don't know much about the engine. It's a GM 1.5L Turbo (sitting in a 2020 GMC Terrain). Heard it is basically a Honda design. Heard it could have piston issues. Heard it is a 200K engine. What do you guys know about it?

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm not a guru, but they're not thinking too highly of it here, just from the performance aspect:

dolluper

Captain
Not to familiar with that one as most are going to dealerships... So l talked to buddy who works at one... This is what he said GM is scratching their arrrs on this one... Overheating problems and oil pressure spikes ..might be solved with the latest software flash..direct injection so oil changes are very important neglect will explode the engine... Turbos are the biggest problem in colder climates especially. Not so bad in warmer climates as long as driver lets the vehicle idle for a couple minutes after highway or hard use... Also engine light comes on sometimes with no codes drives him nuts checking for nothing.
Basically he said stay away unless you get it real cheap.
Thats all l cam remember he said...enough eh.. I wouldn't touch it spend a little more on gas and save on repairs.

alldodge

Staff member
The new 4 cyl turbo motors use direct injection to produce more power. They work harder then lets say a V6 so won't last as long. All direct injection motors I've looked at (find new car for Admiral) will require intake valve cleaning every so many miles

dolluper

Captain
As a matter of interest what method of cleaning the valves would you use ??
I have my method and its old school just wondering.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The new 4 cyl turbo motors use direct injection to produce more power. They work harder then lets say a V6 so won't last as long. All direct injection motors I've looked at (find new car for Admiral) will require intake valve cleaning every so many miles
Some engines makers have solved the Intake Valve Deposits by returning to regular Port Injection under many Operating Conditions, allowing Gasoline wash the intake Valve.

alldodge

Staff member
I'm not going to buy a DI motor unless I would have to. Read up on what is required and ho to, but that's it. No water down the intake for these motors

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
There is one Aerosol from CRC that does a decent job, but it will set several CEL codes while doing so. Often though, the only way is to pull the Intake off and Walnut Husk Blast the Intake Valves

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I'm not going to buy a DI motor unless I would have to. Read up on what is required and ho to, but that's it. No water down the intake for these motors
I had one for 14 yrs, never had any issues with it, except for Timing Chain replacement because of the Combustion Products from the DI and Extended Oil Change Interval, but that was Warranty after 8 yrs of use. Never had to clean the Valves, though I figured they were coking up. I had bought a couple of Cans of the CRC stuff, but never got around to using it. My Insurance Company bought the Car from me last week, because of an Incident 2 yrs ago when a Woman ran a Red as I turned Left in front her. Her Insurer admitted 100% Liability.

aspeck

Staff member
I saw it, drove it, negotiated a fair price, and bought it. Much more power and lower rpm’s than I was expecting. Did get an extended warranty… first time ever for that! It is a 2020 GMC Terrain with 22k miles on it. Got 32 mpg coming home. For now I am happy.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
They certainly get good Fuel Economy. My little Caddy(STS) with the 3.6, would get about 36-38mph on the Highway

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I saw it, drove it, negotiated a fair price, and bought it. Much more power and lower rpm’s than I was expecting. Did get an extended warranty… first time ever for that! It is a 2020 GMC Terrain with 22k miles on it. Got 32 mpg coming home. For now I am happy.
Will getting that warranty slow down the junk mail and phone calls? LOL

Good luck with it.