Need some tips on removing sea water pump on 5.0 Mercruiser

Dave S3948

Cadet
I am looking for some specific "how to" information concerning the removal of the sea water pump from a 5.0 Mercruiser with a Bravo III drive. I need to replace the impeller.<br /><br />I have looked at the factory shop manual and tried to study how the pump is actually attached to the motor. The manual is useless in this regard and the way the motor sits in my Sea Ray 240 Sun Deck engine bay, it really makes it difficult to see anything clearly. Is the bracket that the idler pulley is attached to the same one that the water pump is attached to.....I really can't tell even after trying to study things with a mirror and flashlight and even taking digital pictures!!! If it's not this bracket then where are the mounting points for the pump? Also, since it is extremely difficult to reach the clamps for the hoses behind the pump, would I be better off taking off the bracket first to possibly give me more space to work and see things before trying to remove the hoses?<br /><br />I guess what I am asking for is a detailed blow by blow of how to get this thing off (and back on) along with any tips you might have. I know I can probably figure it out as I go along, but I am hoping to get some better information from you folks before I start. I am not concerned about pump disassembly....that should be straight forward for impeller replacement.<br /><br />Thanks. :)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need some tips on removing sea water pump on 5.0 Mercruiser

There are 2 bolts that hold the water pump bracket onto the block. It's a lot easier to remove the bracket and pump than just the pump. I don't remember off the top of my head, but you may have to remove the idler bracket to access the WP bracket bolts.

Bondo

Staff member

Or,<br />Pull the cover plate,+ Replace the Impeller......<br />Leaving the Pump Body In-Place......

rattana

Chief Petty Officer

Cover plate sounds much easier. If you can get a troublelight in there instead of a flashlight you will see better.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

remove the pump<br /> usually two bolts just behind the circ pump hose and sometimes a bracket that goes under the engine to the opposite sid of the block. look at the parts microfice for your specific serial number. that job on your boat is mean. I am not sure you could remove the impeller body with the pump in place:) :) . its a lot easier to do it on the bench.<br /> good luck and I hope you have a skinny friend :) :)

DHPMARINE

Captain

The skinny freind is the secret.Deckboats are so hard to work on,we are thinking about charging more to winterize them.Manufactures don't take service into consideration.The engine maker thinks the motor/drive is out and on the floor.<br />The owner FINDS it costs him.<br /><br />Best thing here is you will think about access and service when you buy your next boat.<br />DHP