need some opinions please

FSHKPR

Ensign
well i know this guy that does good work on outboard motors for a reasonable price. so about a month ago i take two of my outboards to the guy. one is a 97, 25 horse evinrude. had a stripped out bolt which holds the starter in place. the other one is a early 60s 51/2 horse evinrude. this motor has been sitting for a few years and i just never could get it running right. well when i dropped off both motors the guy tells me "dont ever get rid of that gas tank for the older motor because they dont make them anymore. i saw one at a rummage sale a while ago for 130 bucks." its the old kind with a fuel line and a air line. well any way he calls me last night and says he is done with the 25 horse tells me what i owe him and its very reasonable. then he tells me the older motor needs alot of work roughly 500 dollars worth. i said okay forget it i dont want to put that much into it. then he says i have a little over 2 hours into it so it will cost you 100 bucks. but if you want i will keep the motor parts in exchange for the 100 dollars. well i figured okay thats reasonble too. then says could you please drop off the tank too. now the guy just told me a month ago that tank was worth 130 bucks. what should i do pay the guy 100 bucks and keep the motor and tank. or give him the tank and motor? would i be out of line to ask him to take a little more off the cost of fixing the 25 horse in exchange for the tank and old motor? and what would be reasonable to ask for? i was thinking 35 dollars off the price.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: need some opinions please

Pay him the $100.<br /><br />Post your troubles with the engine on the JohnnyRude Troubles Forum.<br /><br />Those guys can fix anything that could be wrong, and do it over the internet.<br /><br />Moving to Outboard Non-repair.