need some info from the people who know

mbest1312

Cadet
I bought a 1969 rienell 24 ft. the boat itself is in outstanding shape for its age, but the pervious owner cooked the engine. its got a 250 chevy inline 6 with a mercrusier outdrive.

I have a really good running 292 chevy inline 6 in an old truck I got, the trucks not worth saving (I.E rustbucket, to far gone). I know the motor mounts on the 292 is the same, as well as the bolt pattern at the bell housing. the only differance in the 250 and the 292 is that the 292 has a 2-3 inch taller deck height. I realize the motorcover might need to be modified. but would everything else work?

Thanks,
Mike Best

MikDee

Banned
Re: need some info from the people who know

I haven't done it, but I would think so Mike, it sounds like the ideal replacement motor ;)

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

The inline six does not use the side mounts like it does on a truck. It bolts to a boat at the front of the block. Some truck engines don?t have the "ear" casted on them that the engine mount bolts to. Check your 292 for that "ear" on the bottom front of the engine.

MikDee

Banned

The inline six does not use the side mounts like it does on a truck. It bolts to a boat at the front of the block. Some truck engines don?t have the "ear" casted on them that the engine mount bolts to. Check your 292 for that "ear" on the bottom front of the engine.

Ah, Yes, I've heard that, if not maybe you fabricate one, and bolt it to the engine somehow? Good Luck, Mike ;)

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I guess you found a way to work around the riser and mount issue?
To some people 292's are pretty desireable(my dad being one of them). You might be able to do a trade with somebody that has a good running 250.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Mike, just noticed your sig - Thank you for your service.

We like pictures around here, so take as many as you can along the way. They really do help clear up communication issues, sometimes before there is one :D

Kovah55

Banned

Not for nothing but a 24' boat with a small six gonna push it fast enough?

Mike, I am thinking of the same swap and learned that the marine motors have brass freeze plugs in the head and block. (Auto apps use steel that will rust out) Cheap and easy to install outside the vehicle. Also heard that marine motors have stainless steel valves.