Need some ideas

Chip73

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Long time lurker, first post. I live in the Richmond Hill, GA area, 10 miles south of Savannah. I have a Bayliner 175, small but very fun. I mostly run in Osawaba Sound, Bradley point and have made an excursion into St Catherines sound. I am looking for some suggestions for other places to take the family? I think Charleston would be awesome but have no idea where to start and what to do. Any suggestions would be great. My family loves to hit the beaches on the islands and spend the day. I would also be interested in a possible overnighter on to an island. In GA we cant do that but maybe in SC. thanks.

cbavier

Lieutenant
Re: Need some ideas

Welcome aboard I Boats :)

Your sure to get a lot of response from this question, from fellow Boaters in your neck of the woods.

Chip73

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Welcome aboard I Boats :)

Your sure to get a lot of response from this question, from fellow Boaters in your neck of the woods.
That is what I am hoping for. I like to have a solid plan before I set-off, I have learned that it is best to learn from someone, not re-invent the wheel.

shorts&chanclas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you talking about boat camping or trailering the boat to a destination?

I'm a St. Simons Island native (some family still there) and remember boat camping on deserted barrier islands and bars in the Altamaha sound area, Sapelo Island and Cumberland island. I dont think we had anything bigger than a 19 or 20 foot cuddy to do it in back then.

Chip73

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Are you talking about boat camping or trailering the boat to a destination?

I'm a St. Simons Island native (some family still there) and remember boat camping on deserted barrier islands and bars in the Altamaha sound area, Sapelo Island and Cumberland island. I dont think we had anything bigger than a 19 or 20 foot cuddy to do it in back then.
I am looking for any ideas. As far as I know, GA law does not allow overnight staying on any of its barrier islands.

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Watch those tides in and around Tybee Island, i had never seen 8 foot variation on a daily basis before.

I lived on the island, without a boat, but watched quite a few boaters sit out the tides while stuck in the mud.

Had my 250 gal natural gas tank taken from my back yard. Found out later that they are a favorite as a under dock float...

Any one else have any experiences around Tybee ?

Pat

Chip73

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Watch those tides in and around Tybee Island, i had never seen 8 foot variation on a daily basis before.

I lived on the island, without a boat, but watched quite a few boaters sit out the tides while stuck in the mud.

Had my 250 gal natural gas tank taken from my back yard. Found out later that they are a favorite as a under dock float...

Any one else have any experiences around Tybee ?

Pat
I have to agree about the tides. Any of the sounds in the area have a very large tide difference. When I anchor off of an island, I am constantly adjusting the boat position because of this. Also, just because an area was deep enough when you went through doesn't mean it will be when you come back, I have a pretty nice set of routes in my GPS that I made when the tides were lowest and I follow them often.

shorts&chanclas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess laws have changed since the late 70s or maybe enforced now. Back then there were 2500 -3000 people on the island so you could pretty well do what you wanted from an 8 year old's perspective.

I was told the current law is to not go past the high tide mark. Pretty much eliminates all the good campsites. :)