need some assistance with prop seals

zebbmann

Cadet
wondering if someone can give me some instruction on changing prop shaft seals. i did the shift seal and drive shaft seal but want to change the o ring and seals on prop shaft. i have a 75 hp 1996 force elpt. getting some water in lower unit and losing some oil too. replaced the drain and vent seals already too. never done prop seals. any help would be great

zebbmann

Cadet
Re: need some assistance with prop seals

maybe if i be a little more specific i can get some help. i need to pull the bearing carrier to replace the 2 prop shaft seals and the o ring. whats the best way to pull the carrier. my manual also states to pull the prop shaft and assembly but i really shouldnt need too. should I? i found my leak which was the 2 seals and o ring under the water pump and the prop seals arent leaking but i have the parts on hand and i know they have never been changed so i want to finish the job before i put the lower unit back on...i dont have a puller.. is there another way?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Prop shaft seals are not leaking---Don't fix something that aint broke! Save the seals for if the originals start to leak.

However, if you insist: I think you may have misread the manual. Your lower is the Merc designed one very similar to Merc 40. Two capscrews hold the bearing carrier in the gearcase. Now, I am not quite sure but---

You remove the capscrews. There should be two threaded holes somwhere on the carrier. You place a puller like a steering wheel puller onto the shaft end and screw in threaded rods into the carrier. Tighten nuts onto the threaded rods to pull out the carrier. The shaft is just a bearing point and stays inside the case.

Alternately, (now here again I am not sure) you tap the ears that the capscrews were in to turn the bearing carrier a bit. Now using a hard wood block, tap on the ears to drive out the carrier. I have not yet disassembled my 75 lower, but these are the ways I would try.

zebbmann

Cadet

thanks for the help. im not a believer in the if it aint broke theory. preventive maintenance will keep me on the water. not waiting for something to break while im on the water. especially seals that are 15 years old. just from my dumb luck experience. i know these motors get a bad rap but i love mine. guess i got a good one. glad someone could clear this up for me. im gonna see if i can find a puller tomorrow and finish up so i can get back to fishing...peace

zebbmann

Cadet

kinda creepy you follow me here....some issues?

zebbmann

Cadet

enough of that now. i got it apart no problem. now tell me how to get those seals out. i think they put them in with epoxy or something. they wont budge. maybe pb blaster?. i may just buy a new bearing carrier. would be easier

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

It is not easy! I just finished removing them from a dual exhaust lower unit. You need to secure the bearing carrier seals down, then with a long rod reach in at an angle and drive the seals out sequentially, tapping with a hammer as you move around the perimeter. They will be destroyed by removal.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Na u followed me I've been posting here for a few years.

zebbmann

Cadet

ok thanks, ill keep working them until o get them free. do you here something?