Need Some Advice - Please

ronn07

Seaman Apprentice
I am about to purchase a 1997 Bayliner Capri 1750 LS 16.9' Boat. It has a Force 90 HP motor on it. Overall the boat is in like new condition other than one bad spot in the floor that my brother and I can repair.

The boat is priced at $5200 and I am getting it for $4650 so I think it's a good deal.

Two questions:
1. Is this a good deal? :)
2. Will this boat pull a skier, kneeboarder, wake boarder, or a tube???

Please help before I buy the wrong boat.

And I know people have their issues about Bayliners so spare me. :D

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

Ron

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need Some Advice - Please

RUN as fast as you can the other way. 12 year old boat with rotted deck, what about the transom. 50% it is on its way out. the motor has the worst reputation on the market, no longer built, and a horrible history. the price is absolutely ridiculous.

my value on it, is $1,300.00.

TilliamWe

Banned

The Bayliner you are interest in is a Horrible buy at that price. And with a rotten floor (which is always worse than it appears) and an Obsolete engine that was bad when it was new, the owner shpould pay you to take it away. Run Away!

First boat, the four winns, is okay, but has an obsolete drive.
Second boat is okay, if it really has a V6 in it, not a I4.
Third boat looks cool, but it way overpriced. I'd look at in person to get more info
Fourth boat has an obsolete engine that you should RUN Away from

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I would keep looking.
Anything with an OMC drive is a no buy.
Ones that say new floor is just a band aid fix over rotted stringers and transom..
Everything is big in Texas...including boat prices...:eek:
For 5k you should be able to find a real nice,solid boat.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

How about this instead.... And I charge for this. How about hiring a mechanic(real mechanic, as in somebody at a dealer who works on the side) or talk to a few local shops and work it out with them. Find a boat that you like, and tell them that you want a mechanic go through it before you buy it. Tell them that you will offer the asking price less 1/2 of cost of the survey to look at it. Tell them that the mechanic will do these items...
1. Drill into the transom to check the condition of the wood core. Dry sawdust is what you want. If you get anything that resembles pulp, skip the boat all together and go on. In an I/O its usually easy, just patch the hole with 5200. On an OB you may have to go through the splashwell. Drill as incospiculously as possible. And you'll need to patch that hole to.
2. Engine compression test.
3. Spark test. on an I/O its easy. On an OB you want to make sure its firing on all cylinders.
4. Check the gearcase for lube. Full is good. Low or empty means a reseal at best, a rebuild at worst. Pull the prop and check for any weeping.
5. You absolutely have to float the boat and check for leaks, and drive the boat and make sure you like it.

Your much better off paying asking price and working out some kind of split on the cost of the survey. if you don't do all those things, then throwing somebody an offer of 4500 on a 5K boat is about a big of the roll of the dice as you get. If any one of the 5 things doesn't pass then you'll be out hundreds to thousands on the deal.

aspeck

Staff member

Run from the first 5! The last one looks nice, but the 4 banger may be a little underpowered for that boat. Keep looking.

skargo

Banned

Definitely take your time, it's exciting but believe me, their are some hidden gems out there if you have PATIENCE.