Need some advice - boat shopping

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a boat. I want something that will have adequate weekend accomodations for my wife and son (head, galley, etc) This pretty much puts me in the 23ish+' arena.

We plan on using the boat in the SF Bay area with some offshore excursions.

I have limited offshore experience and was wondering if I should be concerned about going out with an I/O? My previous boat was a 21' Century I/O, but I used that primarily in the lakes around here. I'm scared that if the bellows blow 10 miles out, I'm screwed (or sunk :'( )

My price range is capped at about $15k or so. There are plenty of 1980's 25-30' I/O cruisers in this range. A lot of Bayliner, Wellcraft, some Sea Ray.

So, in light of my proposed use of the boat, does anyone have any ideas for me (manufacturer, model, etc) ? I'm (obviously) looking for the best and safest bang for my buck. I feel like I've been looking forever and just can't seem to settle on anything.

Also, I'm in Northern California. If anyone has something for sale close-by, drop me a line.

Thanks in advance!

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need some advice - boat shopping

Be careful on eBay. Every one of the links firestar posted is a classic example of shill bidding. On the non-linked auction, the bidders' IDs are "private",i.e. designed to hide the shill. Never bid on any auction with a lot of activity from a zero feedback bidder, private IDs, or a seller with private feedback. Never!

Agreed, bjcsc. I wonder how/if eBay will ever become an honest forum?:|

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Honestly, it's no different than anything else. Most people are on the up and up, but you have to learn how to spot the ones that aren't...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

just came back from the Florida Keys, when you look around, what i noticed the locals, are running large boats with twin 4 stroke outboards.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

tashasdaddy said:
just came back from the Florida Keys, when you look around, what i noticed the locals, are running large boats with twin 4 stroke outboards.

Nice!, but not for $15K...

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer

bjcsc said:
Be careful on eBay. Every one of the links firestar posted is a classic example of shill bidding. On the non-linked auction, the bidders' IDs are "private",i.e. designed to hide the shill. Never bid on any auction with a lot of activity from a zero feedback bidder, private IDs, or a seller with private feedback. Never!

I just noticed the last 3 all have 0 feedback bidders now. That is BS. They have someone trying to get the bid up. That sux.

Nauti Girl

Recruit

We are doing the same thing and its been fun but difficult and not cheap. We found a boat that had everything we wanted in our price range. It was an '88 Bayliner 3460 Convertable. We looked at it and it looked really well taken care of etc etc. So we placed an offer and the owners accepted it. We said we wanted a Marine survey and a sea trail. Well needless to say a sea trial will not be taking place. It didnt pass the Marine survey :| So we are out that $ (over $400) and no boat. We had everything lined up too, a slip, winter storage etc. So we are back to square one. We are thinking about down scaling a few things and getting a new smaller boat so we wont have to worry about problems or shelling out $$ for Marine surveys and sea trials with nothing to show for them except paperwork showing the boat wasnt sea worthy. Good luck!

salty87

Commander

Nauti said:
We are thinking about down scaling a few things and getting a new smaller boat so we wont have to worry about problems or shelling out $$ for Marine surveys and sea trials with nothing to show for them except paperwork showing the boat wasnt sea worthy. Good luck!

while i'll agree that smaller boats have fewer systems to be checked out, the risk is still there.

your receipt and piece of paper beat the daylights out of buying a boat that needs unexpected repairs. $400 at the boat part store won't even get you a handshake from the owner, that's nothing.

eddie vh...i'd check around local marina's and see what boats people in that area are running. don't be afraid to ask, boaters love to talk about their boats.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

On the Bayliners - - I know that they were "supposed" to have improved quality over the years but do some serious research and get a survey before leaping. A $400.00 expense is nothing compared to finding major problems after your name is on the title.

For what it is worth - years back I had a 1977 27 1/2' Bayliner flybridge. I loved the design however it was a slug in the water. The 5.7 with a Volvo outdrive would barely get it up on plane at WOT with just me on board.

I now have a 1988 23' CC with twin 110 hp OBs & love it.