Need serious brainstorming on steering problem.

asbennett

Seaman
Hi all - you guys have helped my boat from the brink of death to alive and well. It's a 1982 OMC 2.5L 4 Cyl. with a stinger outdrive (400 series). She has a Tru-Course steering system. One of the steering cables has come through the outer plastic cover. I have searched high and low for replacements, adapters, and now need ideas. It appears the complete Tru-Course replacement runs around $900. I need ideas on other options. Adapter kits? Can I just replace the cables? Can I change steering systems all together? Where can I find parts? Any ideas (other than the two wooden oars already in the boat) would be greatly appreciated.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need serious brainstorming on steering problem.

An alternative to the tru course steering would have been a rack and pinion style system that used a push-pull rod on a swivel, thru the transom. A bracket was affixed to the upper outdrive case. This system physically pushed and pulled the outdrive unit and the internal steering gear was disabled.<br /><br />I would try to locate an independant outdrive shop that works on OMC to see what they could cobble together for you. You might give this guy a call and see if he has anything to help you. He's quite knowledgeable and will ship things. He's in AZ. I've gotten a few used things from him.<br /><br />Mike Sullivan<br />866 274 9196<br /><br />Tell him the water guy in Vancouver Wa gave you the number.