Need quick info on throttle/shift cable settings for initiat setup

93nitro

Seaman Apprentice
Ok just got my force 90 replaced with a Mercury 115 (1991) and used the controls that were on the force motor. My problem is trying to get the throttle and shift cables set. Not sure what to look for when starting this process. Messed around with the throttle a little bit and tried to start it but it appears there is more to that setup than just running the gas and can't get it set right to even get it running decent, let alone idle. Haven't even tried messing with the shift cable much yet. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Would like to get the boat out a little on Monday if I can get it to that point. Thank you.

93nitro

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Need quick info on throttle/shift cable settings for initial setup

Update, Looks like the wife wants to get the boat out tomorrow afternoon to watch the local fireworks. Please help...

j_martin

Admiral

Don't know what control set you're using and if it's compatible, but here's normal setup.
The throttle lever in the engine, when left disconnected, should rest against the idle stop. With the controls centered, adjust the throttle cable so it drops on without any force, or very slight force against the throttle stop.

In the engine, move the shift lever to center and feel the detent. Center it in the detent. Then adjust the shift cable so it drops on without force.

Adjusting is done by threading the anchor posts along the cable.

hope it helps
John

93nitro

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks so much for the reply. Sorry forgot to add that it is a quiksilver 3000 series. Just thought of something else. Does the shift lever need to be in a certain spot when installing the lower unit to the main housing? That could very possibly throw me way off too. I bought the motor without a lower unit but it ran great.

j_martin

Admiral

It has to be in the same gear as the LU is. I usually use neutral. sometimes reverse works better as you can rock the drive shaft with the prop to get the splines to line up.

Pray tell, how can you tell an engine is running great without a LU on it?

93nitro

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Need quick info on throttle/shift cable settings for initiat setup

Thanks again for the input. All I meant by it runs good is that I started it up for about 10-15 seconds before I bought it and it fired right up and idled like it was just tuned up. Having problems even keeping it running now....