Need opinions on a 1969 23' Formula

Parrot6909

Seaman
Well, if i buy this one it will be my 6th boat of the year, 4 of them are gone (man i am really starting to hate ebay, motors that "run well"...they really need to state that they run well provided you spray starting fluid into the carbs...unreal). I have been thru soft floors, trailers with broken axles etc.... I currently have an 18' Regal that I found in mint condition, however, my wife would like a cabin, so....here is the question. I found a 23' Formula Thunderbird circa 1969, fully restored, repainted, has a 225 Johnson circa 1989 on it. Does anyone have experience with these boats? The boat looks great in the pictures, the price isn't bad at all, just looking for opinions on the hull, anything to watch out for (other then rot and making sure the motor checks out). I tried finding info on it but NADA seems to end at 1970, any idea on the weight? Any comments on the boat or the 225 Johnson from 89 would be greatly appreciated, my wife will kill me if i buy any more clunkers...

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need opinions on a 1969 23' Formula

I bought a used Formula 233 back in the mid 70's. I think it was a 68 model well used with twin 120 Mercruisers. I had to repair some soft spots in the floor and do some engine and out drive work. Probablly about a 50% restoration.<br />It is a great rough water hull. I sold it mainly because of the double trouble of the twin engines. If I could have afforded to repower it with two new engines I would have kept it. <br />I believe the old pre 1970 Formulas are prime candidates for restoration. <br />As far as the 225 Johnson all old marine engines can be a headache and the boat may be a bit under powered with it. <br />The Formula hull is still being produced in Australia and is used as rescue boats. It was one of the first true deep vee hulls designed for offshore racing.<br />I keep an eye on the boat classifieds and if one ever came up at the right price I would buy it and restore it<br /><br />Buttanic

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

At one time Formula produced one of the better boats great for running in the bays in South Florida and off shore when the water/weather was right. I'm not farmiliar with the 69 23' though. By chance is it an Air Slot design? It was kinda wierd & didn't last long.<br /><br />If this is a conversion from an I/O rig make sure you see it in the water and run it. Some I/O conversions work well but some don't. The problem ones are due to the lighter weight of the outboard which results in the stern sitting highter than it should - and related handling problems.

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The Formula 233 is not an air slot hull. It is a true deep v like the early 20, 25 and 31 Bertrams. It was designed by Don Aronow around 1962 for off shore racing and was quite sucessful.<br /><br />Buttanic

Ralph 123

Captain

I have a 79 Formula that I restored. It is a fantastic, very well made boat. For the most part though, a cuddy on most Formulas is an after thought. They are narrow beam boats and meant for going fast off shore and not really meant for entertaining and camping. Maybe this particular model is different but I'd take a close look at it.