Need Opinions on 1999 Stratos 283 F/S Intruder

rpr

Cadet
I am a newbie about to pickup my first boat. I am looking at a 1999 Stratos 283 F/S (fish and ski) Intruder with a 150 HP Johnson. It's very clean, comes with a cover, bimini top, MotorGuide trolling motor, 2 live wells and a Lowrance.<br /><br />It will be mostly for fishing (on a lake that can get pretty rough), but will also occassionally be used for pleasure with friends.<br /><br />I can get it for approx. $13,000. Any thoughts??? :confused:

rpr

Cadet
Re: Need Opinions on 1999 Stratos 283 F/S Intruder

C'mon guys...I need some help.<br /><br />I am supposed to demo the boat on Friday and I don't have a clue what to look for. Could't even tell you what type of compression readings I should look for.<br /><br />Help?

shuff

Cadet

Take it to a dealer and have it checked out. The few dollars you spend will be worth it whether you buy the boat or not. If the current owner resists, you can probably guess why. As for the 283 Stratos, that is what I have and I love it. Handles rough water well, excellent for two people to fish from a little tight for more than that. Lots of storage and large livewells. It has plenty of room for 4 adults if you are just riding.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Rpr, thats a reasonable price for that... It's definately "in the ballpark"...<br /><br />A few things to look for are soft spots in the floor, decks, stringers and transom which would indicate rot... Cracks in the hull, previous repairs to the hull, or anything that just does not look right.. Tap around on the transom and listen for any spots that sound hollow which might indicate rot or delamination...<br /><br />As for compression readings, all cylinders should be above 100psi with the engine warm and all cylinders should all be within 10% of each other.. (example psi #'s: 125 130 128 122 132 125 would indicate a healthy engine)<br /><br />Take your time.. Ask questions.. If something does not look or feel right to you, it may not be.. If you know someone who has boating experience ask them to accompany you to look at it and demo it...

rpr

Cadet

Thanks guys, appreciate the tips. By the way it also comes with stainless steel prop and a Stratos trailer.

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

take it to the dealer in fact insist on it anything you miss or he's concealing the dealer will find out fast