NEED INFO ON MOTOR

78 280zcar

Cadet
I have just bought a boat with a merc 500 50 hp engine but do not know the Serial#. Because there is no label on it wich makes it hard to find parts for, if anybody could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. The engine looks kind of old, its a manual start motor if this helps any. :confused:

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: NEED INFO ON MOTOR

If you give us some more info we might be able to pinpoint a serial number range for you.<br /><br />Distributor? Powerpack? If it has a distributor is it round or square?<br /><br />Fuel pump..triangle square or round/square?<br /><br />TMD

78 280zcar

Cadet

It has a distributor, its kinda round but has an extension thats kinda square it has 4 bolts on it, same with the fuel pump its round has an extension on it thats kinda square round but it has 3 bolts on it. Rick I already looked at those pictures, the distributor cap is not the same as the one I have but it is the black one and on the powerhead it says fuel jeweled super thunderbolt and kiekheafer mercury on the powerhead also, maybe this helps a little and it also has the longshaft I think I'm not sure. Also the distributor has lightning energizer written on it.

78 280zcar

Cadet

Also on the manual start, what would I need as far as turning it into an electric start, I found a flywheel for an electric start on ebay and also a starter but the starter was for a six cylinder mercury, will these work and what else will I need