NEED HELP

BOAT

Cadet
HEY JUST BOUGHT A 1989 VIP WITH A 2.3 LTR. OMC (ford) MOTOR. IT RAN FINE FOR ABOUT 2 HRS THEN IT'S LIKE A CLUTCH SLIPPING IN A CAR .IT JUST WINDS OUT AT HIGH SPEED.BUT AT LOW SPEED I HAD TO GO SLOW TO GET BACK TO THE HOUSE (REAL SLOW).ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.ALSO WHAT HP. IS A 2.3 LTR.ON A OMC.AND ANY GOOD OR BAD ON THIS MOTOR I SHOULD BE AWARE OF THANKS ALOT BRUCE

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: NEED HELP

Hey, BOAT. I think you spun the hub or broke the shear pin (whichever) on your prop.<br /><br />The rest is stuff for an I/O guy, which I isn't.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB
smile.gif

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would agree with you JB... First place to start looking... PROP, put on your spare & see if you have same problem...<br /><br />Don't have a spare??? As JB & Walt would say "Now is the time to get one"... Why ruin a whole weekend, should you tear one up!!! I have 3, used to have a girfriend that didn't know what "trim & tilt" was... so it was cheaper to have extra props & than to complain about it!!! LOL<br /><br />Find a good prop shop for your repairs... check yellow pages!!!<br /><br />Good Luck...

clanton

Rear Admiral

I think OMC called 120 HP. When it starts to pop and spit thru carb and is hard to start, and spark looks ok check pin in dist drive gear.

fone_man

Clanton... did you have to much wine like Walt did the other night... I think you posted to wrong place!!!<br /><br />Check your post<br /><br />------------------<br />Good Luck!!!<br /><br />fone_man

fone_man

Sorry Clanton... did not read the whole post... my fault... dehydrated!!!

Walter

Hey Fone_Man...I had to read the post three times to understand what the heck Clanton was talking about. And I haven't had a drop of wine tonight! I promise. Guess that's what all Caps and no puncuation can do...<br /><br />I'm with you guys...no sense looking any further than the prop... If that doesn't take care of it, then we'll go from there.<br /><br />Walt<br /><br />PS I've heard of plenty of good reason's to carry a spare prop or two...but never one like Fone's... "...cheaper than complaining" Crack me up!! She musta been a babe!!
wink.gif

GUMBY

Cadet

Hey Guys,<br /> what is & where is the shear pin located in the prop?, not to familiar with this stuff. Also what & where is the dist drive gear?<br /><br />Thanks, Gumby

fone_man

Hey Gumby... Don't worry about shear pin in Prop... I do not believe your is equipped this way.<br /><br />As for dist pin... it actually is a roll pin at base of dist shaft (gear) which runs off of camshaft... sometimes when engine kicks back it shear this pin & knocks timing off & then you never can get it right with out replacing... used to see this with Ford 2.3 litre engines.<br /><br />How is the 120 running????<br /><br />------------------<br />Good Luck!!!<br /><br />fone_man

GUMBY

Cadet

Thanks fone_man,<br />She's running great, I'll have her in the water this weekend for a true test of the tilt motor. As for the oil sender, I'm going to put the correct one in this Fall, when I replace the Transom Seal. It will make it easier to get to without pulling the engine out. I'm sure that I'll have alot more questions as I read this board!!!<br /><br />GUMBY

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Since their introduction OMC COBRA drives have had more than their share of problems.They have been through several lower shift cable updates .Conversion from staight to 5 degree gearset update.The question is . Have any of these updates been done on your package?

Walter

Hey Bruce/Boat:<br /><br />Let us know if changing out the prop solved your problem...<br /><br />Walt