Need help. Yamaha trim and starting problems related ??

CMMako

Recruit
Hello everyone ! New guy from Miami with a few questions and issues and hoping I get some good advise from the REEL pros. Because the pros I took it too are sitting back enjoying 1500 bucks and Im still not on the water yet... Anyhow , here it goes.

Boat-1983 Mako 254

Motors- Twin Yamaha 250's

What did 1500.00 get me at the shop.... Two trim motors , Spark plugs, and water pumps...

Problem 1- Port motor (after repair) only went up... After a 300 quote for new relay I got one myself and put it in now it works like a champ... Problem SOLVED

Problem 2- When Key turned to on position for PORT motor, STARBOARD motor trims up.

Problem 3- Port motor will not self test audible alarm when key turned on (and no gauges light up) Therefor will not start, all it does is crank. No start. So I got creative and Switched the ignition switch (key) to STARBOARD and then the PORT motor starts fine (including gauges but shown on STARBOARD side. Switched the STARBOARD motor to PORT side switch and it started the STARBOARD motor. So in affect, the POrT side ignition will start only the STARBOARD motor and the StaRBoard ignition will start either motor. So the PORT switch does not like the PorT engine... What could that be...

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Need help. Yamaha trim and starting problems related ??

Not quite sure about this set up as you say you have two key ignition switches and you can turn a different switch so that you can start either motor with either key switch.:confused:
The only switch I can remember that switches to port and starboard or both is the switch for the trim motors so you can operate them independently or together

Anyway about it you have some wiring problems as just turning on a ignition switch should not cause the trim motor to raise a motor unless a switch is stuck or the wiring is shorted

CMMako

Recruit

The ignitions are independent . I unplugged them and put the PORT motor on the starboard ignition and tuned the key and the motorstarted as well as the gauges worked but on the starboard side... But or some reason the PORT ignition sill not start the PORT motor...

I think you need to pull the keyswitch out of the dash and start there. What year are your 250's?